108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Support Pack

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Ciccolo
Occasional Contributor

Compaq Support Pack

I have a Proliant DL360 G2. This morning, there was a red LED on the front of the case. After rebooting the server, the light turned back to green. I spoke to tech suport, and they told me to download the Compaq Support Pack, v. 7, which would allow me to install some utilities to view the hardware error log.

I'm at the point to install the Support Pack, however, I'm not sure which components to install. Is it safe to install all components, or should I only choose certain ones?
8 REPLIES 8
CJS
Occasional Advisor

if you just chose the default, it will install the drivers/utilities that are installed on your system.

Im not sure if it will upgrade firmware or not.

I hope that helps.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Proliant support is to update the server drivers not firmware. It is safe to install allthough no issues.

But where as you internal health led ios concerned you can check for iml logs on server after installing the support pack so we will know what was the problem with the server.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

For PSP (Proliant Support Pack) installation, if you choose the default option (select all) it will only install the drivers and utilities that are relevant for your system, e.g if you do not have a Gigabit NIC then although by selecting the default installation option for PSP, you won't get the Gigabit NIC drivers installed on the system. So, it is safe to just do the default install. However, you should be able to see some "Configurable Options" for Management Agents, Survey Utility, etc on the left panel of the RDU (Remote Deployment Utility), please take a look at them and configure them as per your requirements.

NO, PSPs do not update firmware/BIOS. For updating Firmware/BIOS, you can download the offline smart components or online smart components from the HP web site.

Hope, this clarifies and dont forget to assign points:)

Regards,
Mike Ciccolo
Occasional Contributor

After installing the Support Pack, I went into the Log Viewer. However, I did not see anything related to the red LED. I'll just have to monitor it from this point forward.

Thank you for your help. Points will be rewarded.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No Information under IMl regarding IML logs, If ir so then in case check for led status of the internal component leds on your server might be a help.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

Can you still see the red light on the front panel?

YOu could use the HP management agents (from a web browser, type http://localhost:2301 or https://localhost:2381)

This should have detailed information on system health.

Also, if you could specify which LED is lit e.g the power indicator, the NIC indicator,system internal health indicator, this should help us in exactly pointing out where the source of error is.

Hope, this helps and don't forget to assign points:)

Good luck.
Mike Ciccolo
Occasional Contributor

No, the red light is not on anymore. It turned back to green after rebooting it, as I mentioned in my original message.

I tried going to the following site as you suggested:

https://localhost:2381

I could not log in as administrator. Is it looking for the local Windows 2000 Server Administrator password? That's what I used, and it did not work. I know I used the correct password. I even reset the local admin. password.

The light that was lit was the one on the far right. Looking at the front of the server, these are the following LED's:

UID NIC 2 NIC1 /\/\_

The one on the right end was red, but now it's green.

How do I log into the localhost website, and what does that LED stand for?
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

Have you ever use the management agents home page i.e. logged on to the https://localhost:2301? I doubt the old Smart Start gave you an option to specify the management agents password during system install.

So, to answer your question:
NO, Password for accessing the management agents is different from the system's local administrator's password.
If you do not believe you have ever assigned a password to the management agent's administrator's password then use this
Login Name: Administrator
Password: Administrator

If this doesn't work out, let me know, I will point you in the direction to reset this password and set it to whatever suits your fancy!

Hope this helps and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,