1753643 Members
5224 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Virtual LUN

paul lowe_2
Occasional Advisor

Compaq Virtual LUN

I have re-installed Windows 2000 server on a DL350. When the server boots I get a 'found new hardware' message regarding 'Compaq Vitrual LUN'. If I click 'next' to search for the driver, the processor hits 100 percent utilization and the server is so slow it is unusable. I found a post regarding this error which pointed to an old driver being used for a 641 RAID controller. My server uses a 532 RAID contoller but I updated the drivers anyway but to no avail. What the hell is a virtual LUN? Any help would be great. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Install PSP for the same server then check. I think it will do the same.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
paul lowe_2
Occasional Advisor

I have applied the latest support pack for the 350 and everything else (WIN2K SP4, etc) is up to date but the problem still exists. Thanks anyway.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Same there here also i think see.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=429946

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

go to safe mode and check the infor for unknown devices under the devide manger and share details.

Regards,
Prashant s>
Nothing is impossible
e4services
Honored Contributor

I will try not to use the statement "Same there here also i think see". What ever that means.

LUN is short for logical unit number, a unique identifier used on a SCSI bus to distinguish between devices that share the same bus. Virtual LUN is one that is created and not physical, like the single disk created by the RAID controller from 3 or more in a RAID 5.

My guess as to what happened is that windows overwrote some DLL. This happens. The question for me is why reinstalling the Compaq drive did not correct the problem. All I can think is that the driver being used is in the system directory and when you installed the drive again, it only updated the service partition information and did not update the one being use. Try putting the actual drive ona diskette. Go to the device manager and update the drive with the one on the diskette.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
paul lowe_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info. I will try to install the driver from diskette and will let you know.

Thanks.
Neil Henderson

Hi
We have a similar problem but still cannot fix. We have restored from disaster by reinstalling Windows 2000 Server on a DL360 G1 and restoring from tape (including System State) using Backup Exec 10, we get Found new Hardware message for Compaq Virtual LUN and it flashes continuously and will not allow any interaction i.e. OK button.
It is a Citrix Server and will not allow any sessions to connect.
Does anyone know if the LUN problem could be stopping citrix connections or is it seperate.
Any help much appreciated as it is our Payroll Server!!!

Neil
paul lowe_2
Occasional Advisor

Dear e4services, I eventually got the customer to give me some downtime so I copied the latest driver onto a floppy and updated the RAID through Device Manager. The problem has not gone away. Where I go now is any bodies guess. Do HP provide incident support perhaps?

Thanks.
Gustavo Jim├йnez

I recently solved this problem by dowloading the SmartArray drivers.

Just dowload and install this driver by itself, you can get from hp.com.