7542 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq proliant 1500 & Linux installation

Axel Kaempfe

Compaq proliant 1500 & Linux installation

hello out there,

i got an old proliant 1500 server with 2 P166 and 128 MB ram,

and i want to install Linux Suse 7.2 on this machine. but somewho it does not want to.
it allways says, not enought memory, needs more then 16 MB. but i thought 128> 16 mb, or am i wrong??

i even tried Mandrake linux 9.2 and the same picture.

i've set the operation system in the "bios" (which is on an harddrive) to Linux but nothing changes.

I can run it with W2k server and with Win NT, but i want Linux,
can anybody give me a hint, what to do???
3 REPLIES 3
Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

Try the following at the installation boot prompt:

"linux mem=128M"
Axel Kaempfe

yes, i even tried this, but nothing changed....
any other hints?
Carlos Apolaya

I've just installed Debian Linux on one Proliant 1500 and it wasn't an easy task... for starters, the memory problem. I solved by adding :linux "mem=64M@16M" (you can replace "64M" for "128M" here) and when you're done installing, set this parameter in /etc/lilo.conf.

This problem is related to a special way that some older Compaq servers address memory and Linux just can't figure out that you have more than 16MB of RAM.

I noticed that 2.6.x kernels does ignore the "mem" parameter... and 2.4.x SCSI kernel modules tend to crash during booting (Kernel Panic). I had to stick with one of the 2.2.x kernels.

Be advised that there is another problem with the Netflex-3 Ethernet card. The Linux driver is still buggy. Consider replacing this particular NIC for another.

Good Luck!

Carlos.