Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible 100Meg Fiber NIC with SC port for HP DL380

Tony Witherspoon
Occasional Advisor

Compatible 100Meg Fiber NIC with SC port for HP DL380

Thanks in advance.

I need help locating a compatible 100Meg Fiber NIC with SC port that will be compatible with the HP DL380 G4 server. We were first using a 3COM card, but the DL380 seems to be really particular and we began to have bios issues.

Thanks again,
Tony
10 REPLIES
sgunelius
Valued Contributor

Re: Compatible 100Meg Fiber NIC with SC port for HP DL380

Tony,

Unfortunately, the latest fiber NICs from HP qualified with this server use an LC interface. There is a Gigabit NIC that was retired that has the SC interface you're looking for called the NC 6136 (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10768_div/10768_div.html), but I would confirm with HP that it will work with the DL380 G4 even though the NIC is PCI, 64/66.

If so, you may still be able to purchase it from HP or another vendor (www.chestnutmicro.com) if HP no longer carries it. Good luck.

Scott
Tony Witherspoon
Occasional Advisor

What is the model for the LC card? How hard is it to convert from LC to SC?

Thanks,
Tony
Tony Witherspoon
Occasional Advisor

One more thing isn't the NC6136 a 1Gig card. I need to find a 100Meg Fiber NIC.

Thanks again.
sgunelius
Valued Contributor

Tony,

I just took a second look at the fiber network adapters and they won't negotiate transfer rates like the copper NICs do. This means they won't step down to 100MB, but must operate at Gigabit speeds. This means you would have to have a Gigabit port/switch to connect them to.

The fiber network adapters compatible with the DL380 G4 are listed in the QuickSpecs and can be identified by "F" for fiber at the end of model name. "T" is a copper interface. The following link will list Options for this server and you want to look under the Communications section:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12028_na/12028_na.html#Options

As far as adapting SC and LC; I would think you would only need a fiber cable that is SC on the end that connects to the SC transceiver/switch and LC on the end that connects to the interface on the NIC. I've done this to adapt LC HBAs to an SC switch for SAN, but not for networking, so you should probably confirm this by contacting your HP rep.

HP sells LC-SC cables (see below), but again these are for Storage Networking and may not meet your needs:

LC-SC for between a 1 Gb and a 2 Gb device
2 m LC-SC Multi-Mode Fibre Channel Cable 221691-B21
5 m LC-SC Multi-Mode Fibre Channel Cable 221691-B22
15 m LC-SC Multi-Mode Fibre Channel Cable 221691-B23
30 m LC-SC Multi-Mode Fibre Channel Cable 221691-B26
50 m LC-SC Multi-Mode Fibre Channel Cable 221691-B27

Scott
Tony Witherspoon
Occasional Advisor

Well it looks like. HP doesn't sell any 100Meg Fiber cards for the 380. I guess I'm going to try and find a 3rd Party product that's compatible.

It's the little things like this that always slow you down.
sgunelius
Valued Contributor

Tony,

Since most of HP's newer NICs are based on Broadcom or Intel chipsets, you might want to focus your search on network adapters using the same chipsets. You could even see what you can obtain directly from Broadcom or Intel. Do you guys have environmental reason for running your network over fiber? Most of the copper NICs out there can autonegotiate 10/100/1000, but all the fiber NICs seem to be 1000 only.

Scott
Tony Witherspoon
Occasional Advisor

Yes, we have a restriction on only 100M Fiber in our network unfortunately.
sgunelius
Valued Contributor

Tony,

I have run across an adapter that may meet your needs although it may be unsupported on the DL380. There is/was a module available (NC3162) that would adapt certain 10/100 "copper" adapters to optical (see URL below). Only Gigabit speeds are mentioned in the document, but you may be able to contact HP to determine if it could step down to 100MB speeds and if it is compatible with your server model.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/North_America_01-1999/50062_na.PDF

Scott
sgunelius
Valued Contributor

Correction; it's the NC6132 and it does have an SC interface.
Tony Witherspoon
Occasional Advisor

Scott,
Thanks for looking into this. Unfortunately we can't use equipment that is no longer supported.

I did find this card that looks like it might work. We haven't tried it yet, so I can't confirm.

http://www.transition.com/TransitionNetworks/Products2/Family.aspx?Name=N-FX-xx-02