1748182 Members
3448 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compatible RAID ARRAY Controllers

Rob Lloyd_1
Occasional Contributor

Compatible RAID ARRAY Controllers

I have a DL 380 G3 with a Smart Array 5300 Controller and Smart Array 5i and about 120Gb of Ultra 3 disks

I also have a Compaq 3000 with a 3200 RAID controller and 2 arrays of about 10 Ultra 2 Disks each

We want to decommission the 3000 server but utilise the disks (and 3200 controller) in the DL 380

1- is the 3200 controller suitable for intalling in a DL 380

2 - can anyone suggest the best way to go about doing this project !

Cheers
12 REPLIES 12
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Hi Rob
You start with Dl380 G3 and after asking DL380 G1?
... Installing in a DL 380 ...
If you use LVD Drives in 3000, that's ok you can use 3200 and Drives in DL380 G1
If Dl380 G3 I wouldn't suggest to utilize 3200 controller in it, performance reason
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

I imagine these drives are in an external cage. Which model is it (are they).
Rob Lloyd_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks

OK to clarify - I'm not 100% certain which G version of the DL 380 server it is - doesn't say on the front - where can u find out !

David Orwig
Regular Advisor

The original 380s were beige. The 380G2 G3 G4 are carbon (grey).
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Look on the lower left corner if it's carbon.
Rob Lloyd_1
Occasional Contributor

Blimey thats a technical way of method of model definition !

Its grey so I reckon its a G3 - i'll repeat the question now as I have a bit more info !

-----

I have a DL 380 G3 with a Smart Array 5300 Controller and Smart Array 5i and 6 x 36.4 Gb Ultra 3 SCSI internal disks

I also have a Compaq 3000 with a 3200 RAID controller and 2 arrays

- first array 10 x 18.6 Gb Ultra 2 internal disks

- second array going to some sort of Compay (no model identifiable) outboard 14x 36.4 Gb Ultra 3 SCSI

We want to decommission the 3000 server but utilise the disks (and 3200 controller if possible) in the DL 380 G3

1 - is the 3200 Raid controller suitable for putting in a DL 380 G3

2 - if not - do I need to buy an addional RAID controller for the DL 380 G3 - or will it have an existing SCSI channel on its Smart Array 5300 Controller that I can plug a big outboard into

3 - can anyone recommend an outboard unit

4 - can you mix 18.6 Gb Ultra 2 and 36.4 Gb Ultra 3 SCSI in the same outboard unit

Any suggestions welcome !
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Rob you can mix drives in an external cage but unless you have what they call a dual backplane (with a two channel controller) then the bus will run at the lower spec.

You can most likely connect your external cage to your 5300, check to see how many channles it is. Look on the external connections and see if you have two or four connectors. Make sure the cable is the right type for the controller.

The stuff you have is kind of old to be putting into production (old like in dog years) but I do some stuff like that for my test lab.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Use only with DL380 G3 14x 36.4 Gb Ultra 3 SCSI
U2 Drives you can use, however they will downgrade your BUS to U2 all drive with U3 will be downshifted to U2 speed.
5300 / 128 (256) controller recommended
Rob Lloyd_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that

Ok I├в ve checked the back of the DL 380 G3 server and there are 2 free SCSI ports on an internal card showing ├в and also one built in internal SCSI port that says VHDCI (not sure what that is)

These SCSI ports are small so I guess they are SCSI 3 ??

But the ones on the external cage I want to attach to the server is bigger size port ├в maybe that├в s SCSI 2 ├в so I guess I├в ll need a converter to attach them together

Reading the documentation of the 5300 controller it says a max of 14 drives per channel - which brings me to the next question about my DL 380 G3

It has a Smart Array 5300 Controller and Smart Array 5i and 6 x 36.4 Gb Ultra 3 SCSI internal disks

- What is the difference between the Smart Array 5300 Controller and Smart Array 5 ?

- the existing internal 6 disks are presumably using up one channel of the Smart Array 5300 Controller ├в so does that mean I can only use one of the 2 free SCSI ports at the