cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component: Compaq NIC Management Agent Error - event ID 296

Jack Korzeniowski
Occasional Visitor

Component: Compaq NIC Management Agent Error - event ID 296

I have a DL380G2 which was Smart Started with ver. 6.20 running Win 2K Server, SP3 + all hotfixes. I am running VMWare with bridged networking. Every 2 minutes in the system log I am receiving the following message with event ID 296:

Component: Compaq NIC Management Agent Error: A driver for a NIC failed to open. Cause: This error can be caused by an improperly installed adapter. Removing and reinstalling all adapters may correct the problem. The NIC Agent service will not respond to any management requests.

I have reloaded the driver, changed my NIC to NIC2, rebooted, and still no solution - events keep popping up every 2 minutes.

Finally, I went to Compaq Management Agents and moved NIC information from Active Agents to Inactive Agents to stop the entries from appearing in the system log. However, this is not a long term solution. I need this feature to work as it should. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Component: Compaq NIC Management Agent Error - event ID 296

Hello Jack,
Have you checked Microsoft Site for this Error. I went and got quiet a few hits which point to an issue with IP routing. So you might want to dig more on the Technet site about this issue.

Regards,

Caused by Nic agent conflict with MS Loopback adapter driver. The solution is to uninstall the MS loopback adapter. However, if you need the loopback adapter, then inactivate Nic Information Agent as described.
Wallimann Roger
Occasional Visitor

Hello Jack
I have the same problem as you with 3 DL 380G2 Server and also a DL 380G 3 Server. On all this systems is GSX Server from VMware installed with a bridget Network card of vmware.
The problem start with the HP Management Agent version 6.0
I have fixed the problem.
I take the Compaq Management CD Version 5.5 and open the Autorun on the System.
Then i choose install Software and then Management Agent Install. In the new window i choose custom and then Next.
Then you are able remove the new version of the NIC Agent. The System stop all Services and uninstall the NiC Agent.
Then the system start all agents.
Then i open the same procedure again and install the nic Agent version 5.5.
All the Services start and e get from this moment on now error 296. And all the Services work.
In the Webapplication http//:Server:2301 i saw the normal Compaq Nic and the two Nic's of vmware.
I hope you understand my english.
Have a nice day
Roger
Paul Wilcox
Occasional Visitor

Apperently the problem still exists in 6.3
Wallimann Roger
Occasional Visitor

Hello all
My last description of solving this problem work also for HP Management Agent version 6.30. The Problem is only the Compaq Nic Agent. From the HP Version 6.0 on you get the Event ID Error 296.
With my last description you are able to solve the Error.
Have a nice time
Roger Wallimann