108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Configure DL360 Related

SOLVED
Go to solution
scott_417
Frequent Advisor

Configure DL360 Related

Basically this will be a virtual hosting scenario that the web/app server will host multiple web applications (Planning to host at least 10 web apps, but hope to go for 30 apps, finger crossed). I just do not know the will-be traffic. I estimated it to be moderate.

I'll use the Windows (2003 Server Standard) Operating System (OS) for both the servers. My further questions are related to two (2) architectural disgn cases, as follows:

*****Architectural Design #1**************

<1>Use the DL360 as Web Server (hosting HTTP server, web cache, and web applications/web sites)

<2>Use Another DL360 as the dedicated database server

PRO: Easy to setup a standby server, I can purchase the third DL 360 as the standby/redundant server. During the normal operation, I can use the third DL 360 as the testing server. It will be installed with both web/application (server) engine and the oracle database (server) engine. When either production server is done, I can make a switch and restore the data with the tape backup unit. And the last but not the least, save some cash. Take into consideration that this will be a startup company and may feel the money pinch :-).

CON: Database server will not be as powerful as the DL380.

Comment: Due to the budget, it looks like this design is more feasible/applicable for me.

----Que #1----
1) Any suggestion for choosing a standby/redundant server for this design?

---Que #2----
2) Suppose I'll use the DL360 to host the web applications, it not only hosts the html pages, jsp page, and other files, but also the pictures which could be up to 300 MB for each app. plus other files.

2.1> How many Physical Hard Disks will I need and what should be the storage capacity each hard disk should have (in GB)? (I propose 80 GB/each disk)

2.2> If two (2) physical disks will be used, how to parse each? For instance, how about:

Disk One be parsed into:

C: for OS,
D: for Oracel Applciation Server (software)
E: for backup files if needed.

Disk Two (if necessary/needed) be parsed into:
F: for deployed web applications (html, jsp, jar, war, ear, pictures)
G: Other?

2.3>However, if place the above-mentioned F: and G:'s content to Disk One, instead, what could the Disk Two be used for and how to parse it?

2.4>Any other hard drive design suggestion or logic drive?

2.5> How many CPUs to use? (Does the number of CPUs really matters? I sort of believe larger RAM may be more efficient).

2.6> Any kind of RAID needed here?

2.7> If I'll use an external tape backup system, what kind of adaptor do I need to install ( for a capacity of about 72 GB. If Ultra 320 SCSI adaptor, dual or sigle channel?)?

---Que #3----
3) Suppose I'll use another/separate DL360 to host the Database. Suppose using two hard drives/disks (max out each).

3.1> removed.

3.2> How to parse each disk? For instance, how about:

Disk One be parsed into:
D: for Oracel Database System(software)
E: for backup files

Disk Two be parsed into:
F: for data files.
G: other?

3.3>Any other hard drive design suggestion or logic drive?

3.4> How many CPUs to use? (Does the number of CPUs really matters? I sort of believe larger RAM may be more efficient).

3.5> How significant is the performance differ. between the SCSI and the SATA ?

3.6> Any kind of RAID needed here?

3.7> If I'll use an external tape backup system, what kind of adaptor do I need to install on the server ( for a capacity of 100 GB. If Ultra 320 SCSI adaptor, dual or sigle channel?)?

3.7.1> Does the server's adaptor (such as Ultra 320 SCSI Adapter?) restrict the capacity of the backup? (Very important for me to know. If the adaptor does not have the restriction, I'll first use the lower backup capacity such as DAT 40, when higher capacity becomes more necessary, I'll replace it with the DAT 72. --Can I even do this?)

3.7.2> If I choose DL360 with SATA storage controller, can I install Ultra 320 SCSI Adapter for external backup?

3.8> Does the DL360 come with USB port? If so, how many?

3.8.1> If DL360 comes with USB port, can I use it for the external backup?

3.9> For the external backup, USB versus SCSI, which is better (speed and reliability)?

//////End of Design #1////////////////

******Architectural Design #2**********

<1>Use the DL 360 as Web Server (hosting HTTP server, web cache, and web applications/web sites)

<2>Use the DL 380 as dedicated database server

PRO: obvious.

CON: hard to choose the standby server. If use a DL360 as a standby, what if the DL380 Database Server is down; If use a DL380 as standby instead, it will be an over-kill in replace of the DL360 web/app server when it is down. Besides, it is more costly.

Comment: Due to the budget, it looks like this design is less feasible/applicable for me. But I'll reserve it for future reference.

----Que #4----
4)Any suggestion for choosing a standby/redundant server for this design?
(If I can not afford using the DL380 as the sdandardby server, what the other choices can I have?)

----Que #5----
5) Suppose I'll use the DL 380 to host the database, suppose using 5-6 disks,

5.2> How to parse each disk? For instance, how about:

Disk One be parsed into:
D: for Oracel Database System(software)

Disk Two be parsed into:
E: for data files.

Disk Three
F: for backup files.

Disk Four and after (if necessary/needed) be parsed into:
G: for future use.

5.3>Any other hard drive design suggestion or logic drive?

5.4> If using the Internal backup, some (box)space will be taken by the backup unit, can I still get six (6) hard disks? If not, how many to sacrifice? Generally, is it better to use the internal or external backup?

5.5> How many CPUs to use?

5.6> Any RAID necessary here?

5.7> If I'll use an external tape backup system, what kind of adaptor do I need to install ( for a capacity of 200 GB)?

/////End of Questions for Design #2//////

******Tape Backup Issue**********

Due to the nature of this issue (backup), I removed the related questions to the forum. If convenient, please have a look at that, too.

Many Thanks to help.

Scott

1 REPLY 1
Ruslan
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Configure DL360 Related

Hi Scott!

Too many information... Use DL380 - low price over DL360 and more scaleable. Both models have embedded raid controller. Use additional SCSI controller (non-RAID) for back up operations.
I advise you to pull all disk on ONE Array and create many logical drives with appropriate RAID level. OS, DB T-logs on RAID 1, data on RAID 5.