5160 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure IP address for VLan after team 2 network cards in NCU

Yu Ting LIU
Advisor

Configure IP address for VLan after team 2 network cards in NCU

Hi,

I've teamed two network cards on one HP Proliant server by NCU successfully. But afterwards my server only can ping out. Ping in fails and I coundn't remote login to server.

What I've done is just choosing two network physical cards, click team button in NCU. Do I need to configure new IP address for my virtual teaming port? Or teaming port should automatically pick the hostname/IP address of the primary MAC address?

Thanks.

Yu Ting
6 REPLIES 6
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Yu

when you select the cards and press Team button a new virtual Card is going to be create so you need to assign an IP address or configure it to get using DHCP, so at this points assign an IP address manually and test ping it.

it has to work

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Yu Ting LIU
Advisor

Hi,

Can I assign the IP address of the primary network card? If it's OK what will server perform if my primary card fails?

Or should I assign a new IP to VLan?

Thanks & Regards,

Yu Ting
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

when you configure NIC Teaming that virtual NIC override any value that you configure on the cards so you don't need to configure IP addresses or any value on the cards independently (it is not necessary) why because you need to assign IP address and configure the new virtual NIC with new values

see the attached file

regards
Yu Ting LIU
Advisor

Thank you for your explanatin and attached file.

My issue is very tricky. I've configured two physical network cards different IP-addresses, the same Gateway, subnet-mask and DNS-server as they are on the same subnet. Two cards are all pingable at the moment. After I team them, the mini-port is configured to DHCP by system by default, thus I only can remotely login to the server by DHCP server assigned IP address. So I have to configure the mini-port to one static IP-address, Gateway, Subnet-mask and DNS-server used by one of the physical network card. But now on my server I can't ping to gateway at all, but I can ping the server itself. Of course I can't remotely login to this server by either its hostname or IP address.

Did I miss any configuraiton step? I believe my understanding to teaming network ports are as correct as the description in your attached file.

Has anybody encountered the same issue? Or anything else can I check?

Thanks & Regards,

Yu Ting
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

you know what I have not asked you
what is the OS?
server model?
NIC Cards model?
lastes driver and firmware for those cards?
latest NCU for that NIC teaming?

regards
Yu Ting LIU
Advisor

Hi,

The issue has been resolved.

My configuration steps are correct. The issue was caused by that my server subnet doesn't support the particular protocol which miniport are using. So I just switched the protocol to which my server subnet supports.

For your experience, and thank you for your always response.

Regards,

Yu Ting