cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure NIC Teaming

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Configure NIC Teaming

My configuration is a Proliant 1600R that has a built in 100MB port and a Compaq 100mb NIC card. I want to do NIC Teaming for fault tolerance and connect each 100mb NIC to separate Catalyst 4006 switches (the switches are connected to each other by a gig link). Can I do this?

Thanks,
Mike
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Configure NIC Teaming

Sure you can with a NFT team.
If the Proliant 1600R has a TI (TLAN) Chipset. *Netelligent 10/100 adapter, then you can only team with a similar family nic.
You cannot use a NC Series NIC in a team with the embedded unless the embedded is a "Intel" Chipset 82558/82559.

You should probably invest in a Backup link between the 2 switches also.
If you have STP turned on, then you will still be okay if the primary link between the 2 switches fails. The thing to remeber is we only support NIC Redundancy and have no control of the switch redundancy piece you are trying to add in.

mark-
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Configure NIC Teaming

Mark,
Can you clarify...
We will be teaming two NICs in a 1600R. The on board NIC is a Netelligent 10/100 adapter, the other NIC is a NC3121 (or NC3123). Can they be teamed?

Our problem is we only have 1 slot available for a second NIC. Will you recommend a NIC if the NC3121 or NC3123 will not work ?

Thank -you