ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751712 Members
5558 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure StorageWorks RAID Array 4100 drives using 64 bit Fibre Channel Controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bryan Mecklenburg
Occasional Advisor

Configure StorageWorks RAID Array 4100 drives using 64 bit Fibre Channel Controller

I am building a new file server using a Proliant DL380 G3 attached to a StorageWorks RAID Array 4100 storage enclosure. I am using Compaq's 66 Mhz 64 bit Fibre Channel PCI controller cards (spare part number #161290-001). Windows 2000 standard server is installed with all the usual patches.

Is this controller card capable of RAID? I used it another time a long time ago and I am sure that it was but SmartStart will not recognize this card. I am using SmartStart 7.4. Windows 2000 loaded drivers for the card and I can see the drives. I checked the HP Management CD and did not find any better drivers for this card. Even if I had found different drivers, I don't think that would have had any affect on SmartStart. If this controller card is capable of RAID, what version do I need? Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Bryan Mecklenburg
Occasional Advisor

Re: Configure StorageWorks RAID Array 4100 drives using 64 bit Fibre Channel Controller

When I try to configure the 4100 enclosure by booting to the SmartStart 7.4 CD, it does not see the enclosure. If I go into Windows and try to configure the 4100 enclosure from there, it sees the enclosure but will not allow me to configure it. When I select it, it tells me I have two possible problems - a hardware failure or an unsupported driver. I'm sure the enclosure is fine because I have two of them and am having equal results with each. It seems unlikely that both fiber controllers are bad. I have installed the software from the links in the previous response.

A few years ago, I connected this same model 4100 enclosure and fiber cards to a ML370 G1. It seems like at that time I was able to configure the enclosure when booting to the SmartStart CD. At that time, I was probably using SmartStart 6.4 or maybe 6.2. Is is possible that SmartStart 7.4 does not support this enclosure? Is it possible to download old versions of SmartStart? I searched the HP web site but did not come up with anything for downloading old versions of SmartStart. Outside of version 5.5, the oldest version I have is 7.0. Thanks.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Bryan,

1) Update the System BIOS from :
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_4706.html#1

2) Update the Controller Firmware from the link mentioned above.

3) Smart Start CD .. 7.4 ?
As per :
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_4706.html#102
you should be able to use the 7.9 version.

4) Also, which version of the ACU r u using ?
make sure its the latest one.(last link on previous posts)

Regards.
Bryan Mecklenburg
Occasional Advisor

First, thank-you all for your responses.

Here's what I have done.

Previously, I used the Firmware Maintenance CD 7.6 so I downloaded version 7.9 and ran it. It updated iLO and the 6400 array controller that is sitting in the server unused but nothing that might help me.

I downloaded the file from the previous link for upgrading the 4100 controller. I ran it but the firmware was already on the latest version.

I skipped going to the link in the previous post for upgrading the system firmware because the DL380 G3 is already at P29-9/15/2004.

Rather than using SmartStart 7.4, I downloaded 7.9. When I boot to SmartStart 7.9, it only sees the integrated 5i controller and the 6400 controller that I am not currently using.

The Array Configuration Utility for Windows is currently on version 7.60.18.0. I was going to try to upgrade to 7.61.2.0 per the link above. The link works but the download button from that link is broken tonight. I will try again later.

Should I be able to configure the 4100 by booting to the SmartStart CD or do I have to use the ACU for Windows?

Any other ideas as to what is keeping me from configuring the drives in the 4100 enclosure? Thanks again.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Bryan,
The 4100 controller can be configured either ways;
& just to be sure, both the Controllers are visible in RBSU under boot Controller order. rite ?

Regards.
Bryan Mecklenburg
Occasional Advisor

Yes, both Fiber controllers are listed in the Boot Controller Order of the RBSU. They are also both listed amongst the PCI Devices.

I found two additional fiber controllers (same model) and swapped out the originals just on the off chance that both original fiber controllers were damaged. I still can not see the 4100 enclosure when I boot with SmartStart 7.9. I also removed the 6400 PCI controller since I was not using it anyway.

Next, I am going to check to see if a firmware upgrade is available for the fiber controllers. I don't think that is amongst the links in the previous posts. I may even try swapping out the entire server. I think we have another DL 380 G3 in storage. I feel like I am overlooking something obvious, but I do not know what.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Bryan Mecklenburg
Occasional Advisor

Is it still possible to get e-mail support from HP? I have gone to this link twice.

http://vausnzpro.austin.hp.com/EmailWebForms/email_form.aspx?countrycode=US&langcode=en&sni=hpproliant316529тМй=en&cc=us

Each time after I fill out the form and submit it, a screen appears indicating that due to a problem on their end, support personel will not receive my problem. Despite that, a few moments later, I get an e-mail from HP indicating my problem has been received and somebody will contact me within 24 hours. Nobody contacted me when I tried this a couple weeks ago. Maybe I will be luckier tonight.

I also went to this link,

http://h50203.www5.hp.com/hpisweb/customer/HPInstantsupport.aspx

to use Active Chat but my server was not on the list of supported products.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Bryan,
I just tested that. Yes, we seem to have some issues. I will log a ticket & see how I can get the concerned persons notified.

;) Regards.