5655 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure individual RJ45 ports

Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

Configure individual RJ45 ports

Hello good afternoon.

I currently have a ML110 G9 server with Windows Server 2016, which has two RJ45 ports integrated and currently I am only using one and I would like to use both.

I am using the Hyper-V with several virtual machines and both the server and the virtual machines are using the same RJ45 port, and I would like to be able to divide the traffic of the virtual machines and the server using the two ports of the server.

How could I configure the network card to be able to split the two ports without any conflict?

Thanks, Robert.

8 REPLIES 8
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Greetings,

NIC port 1 can be used as a shared port. It can used as a normal network port or can be used as an iLO port to manage the server remotely.

If you are not managing the server remotely or if the NIC port 1 is not configured for iLO, then you can connect two seperate cables on both the ports & configure them for Network traffic.

Please find the link for the User Guide, check page 60 for disabling the iLO on the port 1

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1009093346&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04605894

Thank you.

I work for HPE

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Robertomcat wrote:

Hello good afternoon.

I currently have a ML110 G9 server with Windows Server 2016, which has two RJ45 ports integrated and currently I am only using one and I would like to use both.

I am using the Hyper-V with several virtual machines and both the server and the virtual machines are using the same RJ45 port, and I would like to be able to divide the traffic of the virtual machines and the server using the two ports of the server.

How could I configure the network card to be able to split the two ports without any conflict?

Thanks, Robert.

NIC teaming / bonding is what you are looking for.  There are several methods to accomplish this, some just require NIC settings,  and some also require switch configuration.   Microsoft paper would be a good place to start https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Windows-Server-2016-839cb607

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@DANDKS

The port of ilo, I have a dedicated connector pci that comes in the bottom of the server, so that's not the problem I'm raising. I simply want to be able to use the two RJ 45 ports that leads to the server, to make them independent, and that one uses traffic from virtual machines, and the other port for all other server tasks. That's why I ask if that goes into a conflict. Thank you!

@Jimmy Vance

Nor am I looking for the aggregation of links, in the comment above is my explanation. Thank you!

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Robertomcat wrote:

@DANDKS

The port of ilo, I have a dedicated connector pci that comes in the bottom of the server, so that's not the problem I'm raising. I simply want to be able to use the two RJ 45 ports that leads to the server, to make them independent, and that one uses traffic from virtual machines, and the other port for all other server tasks. That's why I ask if that goes into a conflict. Thank you!

@Jimmy Vance

Nor am I looking for the aggregation of links, in the comment above is my explanation. Thank you!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Generally when one refers to dividing the traffic it would be reasonable to understand the request to be asking if you can aggregate the traffic across multiple NICs.  In your case it sounds like you want to isolate the VM's from the host hypervisor traffic.   Do you still want them to be on the same subnet?  Best practices dictate that you don't have multiple NICs on the same subnet unless you are using some sort of teaming/bonding as you can experience unpredictable results

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Generally when one refers to dividing the traffic it would be reasonable to understand the request to be asking if you can aggregate the traffic across multiple NICs.  In your case it sounds like you want to isolate the VM's from the host hypervisor traffic.   Do you still want them to be on the same subnet?  Best practices dictate that you don't have multiple NICs on the same subnet unless you are using some sort of teaming/bonding as you can experience unpredictable results

Of course, that's what I meant, separate the traffic. Currently I do not have any type of LACP configuration or anything like that, only Hyper-v with the network card configured. But if it says that it can give problems, you can not try it anyway.

If I had to try, I can use a different network segment than the server, I can configure it in the router. What is your opinion?

DANDKS
HPE Pro

Hello,

Hardware wise, the ports can be used independently. However, the configuration will be done from the Hyper-V.

Hence, we recommend to engage the OS team for configuration assistance.

Thank you

I work for HPE

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@DANDKS wrote:

Hello,

Hardware wise, the ports can be used independently. However, the configuration will be done from the Hyper-V.

Hence, we recommend to engage the OS team for configuration assistance.

Thank you

I work for HPE

Ok, thanks for your response.

Now I am waiting to receive a new network card, once I install it I will use the new network card for server traffic, and the integrated one for the virtual machines. I hope there are no conflicts to be able to make that configuration and that everything works correctly.

DANDKS
HPE Pro

Hello,

There will no conflicts with this configuration.

Thank you for the update.

Cheers.

I work for HPE

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo