Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring 2 GB trafic with 2 Gibic NICs in DL380 G5

sumanlal V K
Advisor

Configuring 2 GB trafic with 2 Gibic NICs in DL380 G5

Hi everybody
I purchased 3 DL 380 G5 servers . It is connected to a Cisco 2960 Gigabit Switch.

I would like to know the following ...
1. Why the server has 2 Gigabit NICs
2. Can we increse the bandwidth to 2 GB? like port trunking in the case of managable Switches ?
3. Is there ant Lightning protection device which supporting 1 GB trafic available?

pls help me

Sumanlal V K
8 REPLIES
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Re: Configuring 2 GB trafic with 2 Gibic NICs in DL380 G5

search for document : "HP ProLiant Network Adapter Teaming White Paper"

When you
- configure the adapters as "team"
- set teaming type to "automatic"
- connect both NICs to same switch
- the switch supports IEEE 802.3ad and LACP

The NICs would automatically set the switch port to LACP; effectively creating a 2Gbit FullDuplex (4Gbit) connection to the LAN.

Offcourse two nics can also be used to sepparate LAN-traffic using two ip-adresse in different ip-subnets for different purposes.
eg. subnet-1 for client-to-server traffic and subnet-2 for server-to-server traffic.
or LAN-1 for inside traffic and LAN-2 for communication with the rest of the world.
sumanlal V K
Advisor

Hi
Thanks for your valuable reply
I have to know ... both the NIC will work with one IP address..
my ip of first nic is 192.168.135.4
amd 2nd NIC Blank and disabled
How i can configure it for 2 GB
thx
suman
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

You can't configure the adapter as 2Gbit, you use two adapters at 2 * 1Gbit.
At full-duplex you can even reach 2Gbit out + 2Gbit in = 4Gbit nework throughput max!

When you have the Proliant support Pack installed, there should be a HP network configuration utility in the taskbar (see attachment).
With this utility you can configure your NICs into a new (virtual) adapter named somthing like "HP network team"
You treat this team the same as you would a normal NIC. So you select this theam as the adapter when configuring the IP-adres, NOT the single adapters.
sumanlal V K
Advisor

Thx Mr Peter
I done it and i got a new nirtual NIC and configured as normal NIC.
But the thing is i am getting some warning message on start up in the event viewer that 1.
Source-CPQTeamMp
Event ID- 434
Description
PROBLEM: A non-primary network link is not receiving Receive-path validation is enabled for this Team by selecting the enable receive path validation Heartbeat setting ...
User action ... PLS chk the cabling ..... and so on

I got 2 warning messages and after these messages .. i got 2 event log saying as follows
Source-CPQTeamMp
Event ID- 436
Description
HP Network team #1. A previously failed network link reveive status has been restored

What does it means ... is it a problem?

is there any user action required?

looking for your reply

regards
sumanlal

Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

You stated earlier that the second nic is disabled.
Is this still so?
sumanlal V K
Advisor

Hi
As you said one NIC was disabled before . But at the time of Teaming i enabled that NIC . After teaming i got a virtual link orf 2 GB ...all the NIC icon incliding the Virtual is Enabled
Thx
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Sorry I overlooked this part (section 3.5.3 page 20) of the document ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/networking/TeamingWP.pdf

To utilize the advanced redundancy mechanisms (Active Path and Fast Path) and the Dual Channel team mode,
an INP license must be installed. If the advanced teaming features are not needed, proceed to the next step.

So I think you effectively have a "normal" fault-tolerant team (should be visible when using the HP netowrk utility).
Thw 2GB adapter reported is in fact 1GB up 1GB down (full-duplex).

The error messages could indicate that the switch you have connected expects the NICs connected is a specific order (NIC1-port1 NIC2-port2) try exchanging the cables and see if the error disapears.
ftebdo
Occasional Contributor

Hi everybody,
I have one DL380 g5 with the same problem. But I wonder if this problem can cause the server to shut down unexpectdely. Thanks in advance for replying me.

Regards,

Marco