8013 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Configuring Proliant PL1600 P11 266R

Nigel_13
Occasional Advisor

Configuring Proliant PL1600 P11 266R

Hi
We are a school and are bringing back to life the above server for educational purposes, (see earlier posts) My students and I are having fun learning the hard way.
We have SS 5.50, thanks to Doug.
Smartstart will only configure one drive of the three in the bay on slot 4, with a 2sl array. The other two drives are checked on boot up but are not initiated, the amber light shows. The server fired up OK, but the array could not be expanded because of System management driver not being loaded, We did load it but no joy. We wiped it and went for a manual intallation. We then discovered the two other drives appear to be "embedded", I don't know what it means. We could change the port to numbers ranging from 0 - 7, is this the same as slot number? Is this the way for SS to recognise them? On building with SS it indicates that no other scsi devices are detected, which is a mystery.

Any help from any forum member would be most appreciated. (I am trying to keep one step ahead of my students!!)

Kind regards

Nigel
11 REPLIES 11
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: Configuring Proliant PL1600 P11 266R

Hi,

Yes there cane be internal drives. Following is the informaion of the server when it was shipped

Pentium II 266 and 300MHz systems
One integrated 1.44-MB diskette drive not occupying a media bay.
One High Speed IDE CD-ROM drive
Two available 5.25" (half-height) removable media.
Up to three (3) Internal 1.6-inch or 1-inch hot plug hot plug hard drives

What is the major concern right now.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Nigel_13
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your speedy response, the query is how do we get the other two drives in the drive bay wide (2 x 4.3 ultra wide scsi 242591-013) fired up and working and part of the system? Is it a smartstart issue, is it something else?

Nigel
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi,

if we go for mannual installtion instead of smart cd then what is the out come of same.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Nigel_13
Occasional Advisor

As I said in the post the manual installation makes them visble under system management but says they are embedded...what does this mean? Either assisted or manual leads to the same result, the two do not work as part of the system and it must be something I am not settig or letting the system set?

Nigel
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hello Nigel,

I have seen drives in hot-plug cradles reported as "embedded" by the controller if the "motor power" or "spin on power" jumper is installed on the drive.

Are your 4.3Gb drives genuine Compaq ones or simply spare disks which have been installed into the Compaq cradles?

If they have been "modified" drives then remove the cover and check for this jumper. It has various names depending on the manufacturer however it's function is to spin the disk up immediately power is applied to the drive.

The Smart Array controller expects to have spin-up control of all drives and its responsibility to spin them up in SCSI ID order 0,1,2,3 etc. It won't like the fact that the drives have spun up before it told them to.

Check this out and see if it helps.

Regards,

Brian
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Brian Murdoch,

Even i am not aware of it is there doccument you have on same explaing the difference for same "motor power" "spin power". I will be thankfull if you can share something on same.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Prashant,

I have e-mailed you directly with some further details.

Regards,

Brian
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Brian Murdoch,

Do you have my e-mail address?

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor