1748180 Members
4284 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring the new HP KVM IP consoles

Jim Mulgrew
Advisor

Configuring the new HP KVM IP consoles

We recenly purchased several new HP KVM IP Consoles for another row in our datacenter. We had to get the newer version pn#336045-B21 which has 16 ports and allows 2 local users.

I've tried configuring the IP address through the serial port of the unit so we can access it remotely but have had no luck. I'm using Hyperterminal to communicate and it works fine when I connect to one of the older units.

I've gone through the new setup/user guide that came with the unit and there is no section on setting the IP address of the unit. Anyone else run into this? Thanks and have a good weekend.
12 REPLIES 12
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Jim:

Have you tried DHCP?

Sometimes, the default operation on these devices is a DHCP setting. You might have better luck telnetting into the unit or using a gui manager (if there is on), then with the serial port.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Brendan Chellis

Hey Jim,

Did you ever figure out how to configure the new KVM through a Hyperterminal seesion via the serial port? We are having the same problem here. Unfortunately we can't get to the KVM over the network and because of this issue with the serial port, can't even connect locally to see if it's configured correctly. And there is no documentation anywhere. Not that it's important, right? Any assistance you can give will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brendan
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Brendan,

You can get the manuals and software downloads from here.

Manuals
=======
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=uk&docIndexId=691859&taskId=101&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=331871

Software and Firmware
=====================
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/rack-options/kvm/soft-firmware.html?lang=en&cc=uk&prodSeriesId=331871

Regards,

Brian
Brendan Chellis

Hey Brian,

I followed the instructions in the HP IP Console Switch User Guide by configuring HyperTerminal as follows:

Bits per Second: 9600
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: None

No luck. Just to make sure I'm not crazy, I attached to one of the older KVM's with these settings and the configuration menu came right up. Is there anything else that needs to be done on the newer model? I really don't want to call Tech Support because they'll have no idea what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Brendan
Wendy Gramer 2

I am having the same exact problem. The network port does not appear to be enabled by default. I tried DHCP and it never showed up on my DHCP server. I also noticed that when connected to a switch, the port light doesn't come on.

I can't connect over the serial connection using Hyperterminal. I also tried Tterm Pro and it didn't work either. I tried hooking it up to multiple PCs, I've tried different speeds as well. Nothing seems to work. If HP actually gives me a solution I will post it here.
Wendy Gramer 2

HP Support told me that the RJ-45 connection on the back of the unit is to cascade other KVMs to this one. They said that this particular unit does *not* have an IP interface. It comes with a CD that allows you to do a firmware update and that *does* work over the Serial connection.

The documentation for this unit is on the CD as well and doesn't mention hyperterminal.

Don't know how much that helps, if I find out more, I will share it here.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

KVM model number 336045-B21 does not support remote users as you've discovered, that's why its described as a 0x2x16 Server Console Switch.

0 = Number of remote users
2 = Number of local users
16 = Number of servers (without expansion)

Cheers,

Rob
Joshua Katz

I'm having this exact same problem too, and I've tried everything. Does anyone have a fix for this yet? Or is it a problem with the factory firmware?
If you're not wasted, the day is!
Brendan Chellis

Hi Joshua,

See Rob's note above. We ended up replacing the switch with one that supports remote access. (And it only costs $2700 more!)

Brendan