HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflicting HDD failure reports

Ethos
Occasional Advisor

Conflicting HDD failure reports

Hi

I'm having some issues with a crashing ML350 G5 Proliant server which is leaving no clues when it crashes. I ran the online array diagnostics which reports drive 2 has failed, ADU looks fine and everything else is telling me the array is OK.

I have attached the report from ADU so would be very grateful if someone could double check it for me.

The firmware / PSP pack of the server is pretty old, so was tempted to update- although I'm cautious as it's the production Exchange server.

Thanks
3 REPLIES
Ethos
Occasional Advisor

Re: Conflicting HDD failure reports

This is the error I'm getting from diagnostics:

Physical Hard Drive 2, Serial Number: xxx, Controller Serial Number: xxx
Failed Mon Apr 27 07:56:14 2009
640004: Controller has reported a critical performance threshold error on this drive
This drive has FAILED and should be replaced.
Perform the following steps before replacing a drive:
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Get the hard drive replaced. The HP Insight diagnostics is recommended before running the ADU becuase is more reliable.
Ethos
Occasional Advisor

The main thing that strikes me as strange is HP insight diagnostics states the drive has failed when it seems to functioning fine. Also the HP System Management page states S.M.A.R.T. Status: OK on the 2nd hdd as well as ADU, and again no light on the front of the HDD.

I would have thought something else would have picked up a failing drive?

IE if I hadn't run the array diagnostics I wouldn't be any the wiser...