3971 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Conflicting information on max RAM for DL360 G5

BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

Hi everyone,

I'm confused about this. I find Conflicting information on max RAM for DL360 G5 with CPU 5140 model, the exact part number is 430105-005. 

The quick spec says maximum RAM for this box is 32G but I see alot of other information out there which shows a max RAM of 64G so which one is it? 32 or 64?

Thank you

~B

3 REPLIES 3
BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

Appology for the repost. I believe this question belongs here:

Hi everyone,

I'm confused about this. I find Conflicting information on max RAM for DL360 G5 with CPU 5140 model, the exact part number is 430105-005. 

The quick spec says maximum RAM for this box is 32G but I see alot of other information out there which shows a max RAM of 64G so which one is it? 32 or 64?

Thank you

~B

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Conflicting information on max RAM for DL360 G5

I think equipping it with (up to a total of) 32 GB or 64 GB RAM is strictly related to running it with 1 CPU or 2 CPUs.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: Conflicting information on max RAM for DL360 G5

The DL360 G5 only has 8 DIMM slots so for 64GB you'd need to find some 8GB DDR2-667 ECC Registered modules.  I don't believe HP ever sold any of those for the DL3x0 G5 servers so you'll be looking at 3rd party modules exclusively (and also would explain why the HP quickspecs don't specifically mention a 64GB capacity for that server).

They're expensive and by the time you bought 8 of them you'd be well on your way towards putting that expense towards a used G6 or G7 that uses less expensive DDR3 modules that runs faster, has faster processers, etc.  Sometimes with older servers you reach a point where it's cheaper to upgrade the entire unit than trying to upgrade individual (slow/outdated) parts.