HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect 4 DL380 3G with SACS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gabriel_24
Occasional Contributor

Connect 4 DL380 3G with SACS

Is it possible to connect 4 DL380 3G with a Smart Array Cluster Storage, using the integrated SmartArray 5i Plus and the 4-port shared Storage Module?
I think I should use the Selective Storage Presentation SSP and the DAS Direct Attached Storage. I don't need the Multipath software, is it right?
3 REPLIES
Doug de Werd
Honored Contributor

Re: Connect 4 DL380 3G with SACS

That is correct. Each one of ther servers will have only one connection to the SACS, so there is no need for the mulit-path software (which is included when you buy the 4-port option). You will use SSP to keep all of the volumes separate, and make sure that you do not assign any volumes to be accessed by more than one server.

There is more information in the SACS User Guide at ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/user_reference_guides/240333-3.pdf

Thanks,
Doug
Expert in ProLiant Clusters
Gabriel_24
Occasional Contributor

A guy from HP has told us that we shouldn't use the SA 5i plus to connect to the SACS and we should use the SA-532 instead.

He argues this:

"En la lista de compatibilidades de la SA Cluster Storage, viene especificado que para poder conectar la misma a un DL380-G3 en la configuraci??n de "Multipath technology" (4 nodos) se necesita la controladora SA532:"

"In the compatibility list of SA cluster Storage, it's specified that a SA532 is needed for the configuration of "Multipath technology" (4 nodes)"

I disagree with him because you can connect 4 nodes, without using Multipath.

Mi question is: Can I make a 4-node configuration with the integrated SA 5i plus or should I use the SA 532?

Sorry for my bad english ...
Doug de Werd
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you are connecting 4 servers to one SACS, then you absolutley can use just the 5i+. The 5i+ and the SA532 are the same card electronically, but just have a different form factor.

You do not need to use the SA532. Part of the confusion may be because you are using the 4-port option, which includes the multi-path software. If you use the multi-path software, you are limited to connecting 2 servers, and you would need to add a second controller like the SA532.

But that's not what you are doing. Since you only have one connection from each server going to the SACS, you can use the 5i+ and then you will not install the multi-path software.

Thanks,
Doug

Expert in ProLiant Clusters