1753523 Members
8545 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting 4000/4100 Fibre Channel Array

Michael Finley_1
Occasional Contributor

Connecting 4000/4100 Fibre Channel Array

I am attempting to connect two 4X00 fibre channel arrays to a Proliant 1600R. I've run all the smart start utilities, but the system only recognizes the second one. Any suggestions here guys? Thanks in advance.

Mike Finley
5 REPLIES 5
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Check the Array Configuration Utility (ACU) to ensure that Selective Storage Presentation (SSP) is set up properly, and also check to see if you have done any switch port zoning. Does the ACU see both storage systems?

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Michael Finley_1
Occasional Contributor

The ACU does see both of them. What is the proper way to set up the SSP? And should these be set up as RAID 5, 1+0, 0?
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

You might find some info here
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ra4100san/documentation.html

As for RAID level, it really depends. Probably a good place to start is here
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/Assessing_ADG_v_5_v_1+0.pdf

Also, have you created arrays and volumes on the first storage box? When you say the system only recognizes the second one, whatd o mean by that (where are you looking to determine that this is the case?)

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Mark Slaughter
Advisor

What is your configuration? Is it 1 Pl1600 attaching to 2 x RA4100 storage units? Is it single path or redundant path config? Is there at switch or hub in the config? Are you going to be clustering?

SSP (Selective Storage Presentation) is only used when you are connecting more than one server to a shared storage. It is used to restrict access to a logical drive on a hardware level. You cannot have multiple servers accessing the same data at the same time. You need something to negociate access to the drive. Cluster service does this on the OS level. SSP will only present the drive to the servers that are granted access. SSP is only support using switches. If this is just a single server, SSP is not used.

Most likely the problem is the firmware on the RA4000 controller or the version of the ACU (Array Configuration Utility). Install the newest PSP (Proliant Support Pack) at http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18416.html and upgrade the firmware on the RA4000 controller at http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14694.html . The firmware on the RA4000 controller should be 2.60. Use disk 4 to update the firmware.
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

I'd check to make sure you are getting transmit and receive lights on both controllers.

Are you running through a hub?

Redundant controllers?

I agree with the firmware also - although it will generally prompt you if that is the case.

Can you get the non working one to work alone?