1753425 Members
5006 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting ADIC Scalar 100 storage unit to an ML 370

Sal Mistretta
Occasional Contributor

Connecting ADIC Scalar 100 storage unit to an ML 370

I am connecting a Scalar 100 to an ML 370. Connecting the SCSI cable directly to to the onboard SCSI port.

I am using the appropriate cable and the drives are terminated properly.

On system bootup I get a "system haulted" error.

If I remember correctly, I believe an internal cable needs to be disconnected or re-connected to another port internally.

Has anyone come across this problem?

Thanks,
Sal
2 REPLIES 2
Brian Murdoch
Advisor

Sal,

When you have a ROC (Raid on Chip) fitted to the ML370G1 motherboard it takes control of the SCSI connectors on the motherboard. If there is no ROC chip then these are controlled by the embedded SCSI controller.

Tape drive support is detailed as follows:-
NOTE: Tape Drive Support
Tape drive support is possible from either channel of the ROC, but not both channels simultaneously. Also from a single SCSI channel, devices can be configured internally or externally but not from both simultaneously. Channel 2 (SCSI port 2) is reserved for the hot-plug and optional drive cages, (4 bay and 2 bay cages). Therefore Channel 1 (SCSI port 1 on the system board) can be used for both internal or external standard SCSI tape drives. But Tape Libraries and Tape AutoLoaders are not supported externally from the ROC controller. If an optional SCSI controller is installed in an available PCI slot, then external Tape Libraries and Tape AutoLoaders can be connected to the server.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Sal Mistretta
Occasional Contributor

Brian,

I did have a spare Adaptec host adapter laying around and installed it. The Scalar 100 is now online.

Thank you for the information on the chip. I did not know about this type of chip.

...Sal M.