New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting Blades to storage - SCSI(MSA500) or only Fiber

SOLVED
Go to solution
Petar Golubovich
Occasional Contributor

Connecting Blades to storage - SCSI(MSA500) or only Fiber

Hi,

Would anyone know if BL servers can be connected to SCSI storage? Documentation mentions Fiber SANs frequently, no mention of Yes/No for SCSI, but the customer in this case already has an MSA500 which they would like to attach to a new enclosure of blades.

Any info much appreciated,
Thanks, Petar
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Petar:

BL 20, 25, 30, 35 and 45 can NOT be connected directly to SCSI Storage. THis is due to the fact thet all of these servers do NOT have PCI slots to put in SCSI adaptors and/or do not extend their internal Smart Array controller ports to the out side of the unit.

The BL40, which is now retired, has 2 PCI slots that you could put a Smart Array card in, but they are retired.

The only way to connect them is to upgrade to a MSA1000 or find a iSCSI router that takes SCSI on the back end.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Petar Golubovich
Occasional Contributor

Steven,

Thanks very much, this is exactly what I was wondering, just couldn't find a photo of the back of a blade to see if there is a SCSI 'uplink'.
You mention iSCSI and a router which could connect it to SCSI - do you happen to know if HP has a product that does this?
How would it appear to the OS, does this need an iSCSI 'host adapter' or just a driver for SCSI via IP??

Thanks again, much appreciated!
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I am NOT very knowledgeable when it comes to iSCSI so I can not immediately help you. I will try to do some research on it though and see what I come up with.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)

I'm currently attempting to do this via iSCSI, but haven't had any luck thus far. The MSA500 controller doesn't seem to be presenting the drives to the iSCSI bridge. I can hook up an MSA30 shelf to the iSCSI bridge and it sees that just fine. Would anyone happen to know if there's a trick to getting the MSA500 to present its disk(s) to a 3rd party SCSI device like an iSCSI bridge? The MSA500 in this case is a G1. The iSCSI bridge is an ATTO Technology IPBridge 2600 R/D. Thanks,

Clay