ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cont' DL380 will not boot once second PIII 866MHZ CPU and CPU Power Regulator has been added.

Brett_25
Occasional Contributor

Cont' DL380 will not boot once second PIII 866MHZ CPU and CPU Power Regulator has been added.

Both CPU and Power regulator are proprietory parts. The only thing is that the Invoice states that the New CPU is a Compaq Proliant ML350 866MHZ PIII. The machine I am putting the second CPU into is a DL380, is there a specific PIII CPU for the DL380 or will the ML350 one work?

The parts look exactly like the same parts in the server currently.

Also a red light comes on when I add the second cpu, between the cpu's and the cpu power regulator's?

I downloaded the lastest System ROM for the DL380 and applied before adding the second cpu.

System will not boot.

Serial number H046FD519097.
2 REPLIES
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Cont' DL380 will not boot once second PIII 866MHZ CPU and CPU Power Regulator has been added.

It is obviously the CPU if it will not POST with the 2nd.

The parts are should be the same, did you check to see if the Stepping codes matched? It doesn't really matter, but "could" according to Intel. You are sure that the new and old have the Intel markings 866/256/133/1.65 and then some code.

Next try the new processor and VRM alone in slot 1 and see what happens. THen the old CPU with the new VRM. Isolate the problem as best you can.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Dan Baxter
Frequent Advisor

Re: Cont' DL380 will not boot once second PIII 866MHZ CPU and CPU Power Regulator has been added.

My first inclination would be that your stepping levels are different. I'd try swapping the positions of the CPU's and regulators. If that doesn't work, then try just the new one in the primary slot. Do these items have part numbers? If so, do they match?
Those who are different, change the world. Those who are the same, keep it that way.