5319 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Convert DL740 RAID to non RAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rod Swenson

Convert DL740 RAID to non RAID

Could someone point me to documentation to convert the DL740 to Non-RAID. Is it possible to configure the system either way, or do I need to add a SCSI card?

Thanks in advance.

Rod Swenson
6 REPLIES 6
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor
Solution

DL740 have integrated RAID controller (Smart Array 5i). If you want use simple SCSI you need to add a SCSI card.
But also you can configure each physical disk separately as RAID0 array and got the same result:)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Rod:

The easiest way to go is to use RAID0 if you do not want to use other RAID levels.

Using the 5i, you gain the read cache and potentially any write cache it my have making disk access alot quicker, but you also have use of your disks as single entities instead of 1 or 2 bigger arrays.

If you want to take hardware RAID totally out of the picture, then yea... a SCSI adaptor will be necessary.

May I as why you want to go with non-RAID?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Rod Swenson

Thanks for the replies.

The reason for Non-RAID is a customer requirement. They want to be able to remove disc volumes and place thme in a vault so they don't need to keep the system in a vault.

Rod Swenson
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Is this just to have a backup of some data periodicly?

I think the best thing to do might be RAID1. Everytime you want to take a backup, remove one of the drives in the array and replace it with a new one. The system would not need to be taken offline and the rebuild process is automatic. Take the removed drive, label it and store it in the vault.

The drive would be accessible on any other server with a Smart Array controller in it if needed to be accessed.

If you use SCSI, you will need to down the server, remove the drive, put new drive in, format it, etc... a long process.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

2Stiven
Just for info:)
Lastest version of SA6xx controllers firmware allow split mirror functionality, so we can break raid1 to 2 independent raid0 before removing:)
Rod Swenson

Steven,

Everything you say is true, however the customer requirement is supreme.

I do not believe that the requirement is just for backup or redundancy. I think that the application is running in a Non Raid and they desire to keep it that way.

Rod