1752614 Members
4924 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Convert RAID 0 to RAID 5 P440ar controller

taspence
Occasional Visitor

Convert RAID 0 to RAID 5 P440ar controller

In reading other forums I think this is possible but would like some reinforcement, as I don't see anyone having the same configuration I have. I have a HP ProLiant ML350 Gen 9 with a HP Smart Array P440ar controller firmware ver 3.00. It currently has 6 out of 8 bays with 600GB drives in it. I have 2 extra 600 GB drives here. Windows server 2012 is installed with 4 partitions (2 system created, 1 for OS, 1 for storage). Can I install the
two extra drives I have add these to the drive array and convert this from RAID 0 to RAID 5 for redundancy without having to reinstall Windows or losing data? This is our Exchange server so any recommendations or tips is much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
krasinka1409
HPE Pro

You may use the HPE Smart Storage Administrator and extend your existend array without reinstalling everyting. Even if the extension can be done online, HPE recommends to backup all data before performing it. 

Thank you
I am an HPE Employee
taspence
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for the reply. Not only can I extend this, converting from RAID 0 to RAID 5 with the controller I have should be able to be performed without issues correct? (Obviosuly backup first!)

Thanks