6006 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Convert RAID0 Single Drive to RAID 1 2 Drives

WW409556
Occasional Advisor

Convert RAID0 Single Drive to RAID 1 2 Drives

Hello,

I have a DL360G5 server with an embedded P400i controller. The server was accidently setup with only one 146GB drive in a RAID 0 because the 2nd drive was in slot 5 not slot 2. I have moved the 2nd drive to slot 2 and now see a 146GB unassigned drive in Slot 2 however cannot find a way to convert the existing single drive raid 0 to raid 1 with 2 drive. I have got conficting answers when calling support and hope there is a way to do this without detroying the data and reinstalling windows and restoring the data.

Please help!

Todd
10 REPLIES 10
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

hi Todd,

I believe this can be done, but you should get a full backup of the server and take a downtime for this work.

Boot from the latest SmartStart CD and use it to run the array configuration utility. You can find details on ACU here:
http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf

In your case it sounds like you need to first expand your array (page 24), then migrate your logical drive (page 25).

good luck, points are appreciated if the answers help!
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor
WW409556
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply and info WFH,

The doc states "Not all operating systems support online logical drive extension through ACU".

I guess that is why we need to boot with the CD and I should see this Extend logical drive option?

I will try and schedule some downtime and the resources to rebuild the app just in case we lose the data. At best it would not be till this weekend so I will reply with success or failure either way.

Thanks again,

Todd
TTr
Honored Contributor

Do you have the BBWC option with the P400i controller?

If so you should be able to do this online without shutting down the server and without having to reinstall.
WW409556
Occasional Advisor

I don't think so and do not see any option to extend the current array. If I add the BBWC will it add the option to extend the software based ACU in windows automatically?

If so I would order one and I can add it late in the day without extended downtime.

Thanks

Todd
TTr
Honored Contributor

The BBWC will give you online array operations. See the quickspecs under "management features" in http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12400_na/12400_na.html

You can not convert directly to raid1, you have to add the unused drive to the existing raid0 array and then perform a raid type migration from raid0 to raid1..

WW409556
Occasional Advisor

OK,

I ordered BBWC part 405148-b21 and hope to get it by Friday. I will install at the end of the day,and can try to extend the array remotely instead of going to the office over the weekend to use the CD.

Thank you both for your replies.

Todd
TTr
Honored Contributor

Always run a backup before you start any disk changing operations in the array controller. You never know what might go wrong.

Also after Friday come back and fairly assign points to the responses here. BTW, read my profile.
WW409556
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

I did not get the BBWC part and need to postpone till possible next weekend.

I will definitly post points for those who answered and helped here.

Thanks

Todd