1752745 Members
5058 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Copying large files

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Copying large files

I'm having troubles copying large files (1.5 Gb), even tried a cross cable. Server and client running W2K no special feats.

CLUES???
8 REPLIES 8
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You have not provided enough information in your message to determine the nature of the problem or to be able to provide you with an acceptable resolution. What error messages are you getting when you try to copy a large file? What method are you using to copy the file. Command prompt, Windows Explorer or some other command or utility. Please provide more information.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am having the same problem. I've tried numerous methods to copy large files, including 'Drag and drop', command prompt, and 'Copy/Paste'. No error pops up, rather it freezes the screen and mouse and it basically sends the system into oblivion. It's interesting though, that the file does end up being copied across if you leave it long enough in a frozen state.

I have reinstalled the NIC driver, tried new patch cables, even tried a new port. Nothing seems to work. We're running Windows 2000 Server, fully patched. If you need any more info, let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

i having the same problem!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I called tech support and after going through a long dialogue with them they didn't have too many ideas. I disabled the on board NIC and installed an Intel Pro 100+ NIC and it has made a difference. I'm still crossing my fingers though.... If you have the option to install another NIC try it and see if it works. I'll let you know how this one goes after further testing.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I also called tech support and no answers, I also have a problem sharing files (*.mdb) the work great when they are shared from a win 98 station , but from the 2000 server it's much much slower..Ruled out a network issues except changing the NIC. I only have 5 workstation in the network and the win 98 statation was the server before..Tried new hub new cable, 10mbs /half duplex setting on the server, tested the cable runs.. I never seen this before ????
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Tried different Nibs, cables, ports, methods of copying, and even went as far as to re format and re install. Seems to not like ANYTHING over 5 BB that is trying to be copied or moved from another server to the local drive. Gets about to the halfway mark and freezes the mouse and keyboard. Going to try to call techsupport to see if any fixes have come up since January 11th reply.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The problem is that the inboard NC is standard on auto sensing as the SO is, what you can try to is set the speed to 100 MA fixed. If this is not working set the hub/switch to 100Mb fixed. Still not working? Disable the inboard NC and install a second one. The problem is that they are negotiating the speed and they are shutting themselves down......

Marie s.m.a.

and for sure "other NC no more problems..."
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The problem is that the onboard NIC is standard on autosensing as the OS is, what you can try to is set the speed to 100 Mb fixed. If this is not working set the hub/switch to 100Mb fixed. Still not working? Disable the onboard NIC and install a second one. The problem is that they are negotiating the speed and they are shutting themselves down......

Mario s.m.a.

and for sure "other NIC no more problems..."