1748180 Members
3856 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating DL360 G4p Ghost Boot Disk

elliott_3

Creating DL360 G4p Ghost Boot Disk

Hi,
I'm trying to create a ghost boot disk for some DL360 servers we got in. The server has two integrated NICs. I downloaded the NC7782 driver NDIS driver for the server. The boot disk seems to recognize the driver but I get an error telling me the card cannot be located. In protocol.ini on the boot disk, I can specify slot and other parameters. Has anyone got a ghost boot disk to work with the integrated NIC? Appreciate if you can post the protocol.ini info. Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Elliot,

I'm not sure if the following is what you are looking for but I came across it on one of our internal technical sites.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Customers may want to use the NDIS2 driver for HP NC77xx embedded adapters named Q57.DOS to complete unattended installations of Operating Systems. Additionally they may want to specify the specific adapter or speed duplex configurations. Here are a few pointers.

Let's take the DL380 G4 server that ships with (2) NC7782 Gigabit Server Adapter LOMs (embedded) into the server. Using the driver from NCDE 7.85 release of software, the Q57.DOS driver is version 7.65, here are some examples. Both of these examples use DHCP to obtain the IP address.

(Example #1) The customer wants to use the NC7782 Gigabit Server Adapter Port 2 with TCP/IP to attach and complete a unattended installation of the operating system. Further, the customer wants to force 100Mb/s and Full duplex to complete the install.

Protocol.ini

[network.setup]
version=0x3110
netcard=ms$ee16,1,MS$EE16,1
transport=tcpip,TCPIP
lana0=ms$ee16,1,tcpip

[ms$ee16]
drivername=Q57$
LineSpeed=100
Duplex=Full
BusNum=3
DevNum=1
PortNum=1

[protman]
drivername=PROTMAN$
PRIORITY=MS$NDISHLP

[tcpip]
NBSessions=6
DefaultGateway0=
SubNetMask0=
IPAddress0=
DisableDHCP=0
DriverName=TCPIP$
BINDINGS=ms$ee16
LANABASE=0

In Example #1, the NDIS2 driver will load against the first adapter it finds, in this case would be port #1. In order to load against port #2, the user will need to specify in the protcol.ini

BusNum=3 This is the Bus Number of both the NC7782 adapters in the DL380 G4
DevNum=1 This is the Device Number of both the NC7782 adapters in the DL380 G4
PortNum=1 This is the Port Number of the 2nd adapter (Port #2), because the numbering starts at 0. (Very important)

To specify 100Mb/s Full, the cusotmer will need to use the keywords LineSpeed and Duplex in the protcol.ini

LineSpeed=100 This will force the adapter to 100Mb/s and turn off Auto-Negotitate
Duplex=Full This will force the adapter to Full Duplex

(Example #2) The customer wants to use the NC7782 Gigabit Server Adapter Port 1 with TCP/IP to attach and complete a unattended installation of the operating system. Further, the customer wants the adapter to auto-negotitate to the highest speed possible.

Protocol.ini

[network.setup]
version=0x3110
netcard=ms$ee16,1,MS$EE16,1
transport=tcpip,TCPIP
lana0=ms$ee16,1,tcpip

[ms$ee16]
drivername=Q57$

[protman]
drivername=PROTMAN$
PRIORITY=MS$NDISHLP

[tcpip]
NBSessions=6
DefaultGateway0=
SubNetMask0=
IPAddress0=
DisableDHCP=0
DriverName=TCPIP$
BINDINGS=ms$ee16
LANABASE=0

In Example #2, the NDIS2 driver will load against the first adapter it finds, in this case would be port #1. So there is no need to need to specify in the protcol.ini BUS/DEV/PORT. Since no LineSpeed or Duplex keywords were used the driver will auto-negotiate to the highest capable speed possible.

e4services
Honored Contributor

Elliot,
I would go into the Device Manager and delete the references to the NICs and then rediscover then. You might see 4 references to NICs instead of 2. I am sure it is just location differences
Hot Swap Hard Drives