1753500 Members
4477 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating a raid 1 after OS install.

Mark Fator
Advisor

Creating a raid 1 after OS install.

I have a ML350 G5 that I really had to jump through a lot of hoops to get Server 2008 up and running on. After weeks it was only possible to load with the Internal Raid disabled, (there was no visible means to load the driver). Now that it is up and running I would like to set the Raid up and mirror the drive but when I try using the bios I get that scary message about data loss. If have messed with Storage Manager. The OS loaded on Disk 1 and I had Disk 0. Now I have Disk 1 partitioned into c: and D: with the OS on c:. The option to mirror was available but would not respond the the Disk 0 I wanted to mirror to. I tried Partioning Disk 0 to match Disk 1 but then the mirror option is now grayed out. Could some one point me to information on this.
6 REPLIES 6
Mark Fator
Advisor

After a reboot the OS is now listed as being on Disk 0.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

which controller is that server using? e200?

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Mark Fator
Advisor

It the embedded raid, there is no separate plug in raid controller.
Mark Fator
Advisor

I was working with Disk Manager and finaly got the "Mirror" option to become active (not grayed out. What I had was one disk with two
partions, C and D. I had partioned the second drive the same exact way. That one time only, the option was active and allowed me to mirror my C: (drive 1,also system boot)to the same sized second disk and it worked. Now when I tried to do the same thing for D:(the second partion on the same drive) the mirror option was again grayed out. So I broke the mirror and expanded the original drive to form one continuous volume. I reformated the second drive (All with reboots) and again the mirror option is gray. I have been going through Microsoft TechNet and as of yet have not stumbled on why this is so difficult. This problem would not exist if the SmartStart would have taken the embedded RAID into consideration. I'm still dead in the water. An visions?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

smartstart does not support embedded SATA controllers only smart array controller

My recommendation is do a migration from RAID 0 to RAID 1

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Mark Fator
Advisor

I did some heavy pocking around and finally figured out the correct order for getting the drives to mirror from within Disk Manager, thanks.