1752750 Members
5236 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Creating array after OS installed - ProLiant ML110 G5

sm8000_SSI
Occasional Contributor

Creating array after OS installed - ProLiant ML110 G5

I am helping a friend with his small office's new server. He installed Windows Server 2008 x64 on a single disk, with RAID turned off.

Since then he has added two more disks, and the desire is to boot to a RAID 1 array. The only controller is the embedded Adaptec SATA RAID.

Things I've tried:

- Installing the RAID driver thru Add New Hardware, then rebooting, enabling RAID in the BIOS, and trying to boot again: Blue Screen.

- After doing the above on the phone (plus updating the system firmware), HP sent out a tech that replaced the motherboard.

- Tried the above again, no change.

- Went into the BIOS's array config, and tried to create an array. Found I could not make Drive 0 part of it (ok since I don't want to wipe it!).

So it seems my only recourse is to take out Drive 0, make an array of the other two drives, install Windows, migrate all data, and finally integrate Drive 0 into the array.

That's going to take lots of hours. Is there anything faster that can be done? Or ideally, is there a controller card I could put these drives on, create an array without data loss, and call it a day? Or even move the drives back to the embedded controller afterward?
3 REPLIES 3
Chris Bedford
Regular Advisor

Re: Creating array after OS installed - ProLiant ML110 G5

Hi "SM"

I'd be fascinated to hear if you found a solution to this problem. Surprised no-one offered any advice here!

According to all the literature I have found so far, what you have done is "the" way to go about achieving what you wanted to do - but all that literature kinda glosses over the mechanics of actually creating the RAID set.

Chris
sm8000_SSI
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris, eventually I gave up and did the "lots of hours" route. Wasn't the most elegant solution, but maybe it's all I could have done. In any case, it's up and running now.

Regards,
Steve M.
Chris Bedford
Regular Advisor

Ho hum! :-)

Well I am in the process of generating the RAID set - about 34% last time I looked. Even that route takes lots of hours! I did eventually find where someone on one of these forums gave a (more or less) detailed description of how to create a RAID array without destroying your carefully installed Windows, so once that is complete I'll see what happens.

Just praying for no BSoD!