6810 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DAT DRIVE Question...?

Paul_479
Occasional Contributor

DAT DRIVE Question...?

Dear all,

I am shortly going to purchace a new server for my smb (possibly a ML350 G4p)

I have been given an old (yet unused) 20\40 gb internal SCUSI DAT tape drive.
Ideally id like to mount it below the cd rom,
obviously to do this ill need some sort of adaptor cage in order to bring it to the nessasary width, and i dont know the part no (if one even exists for this.)

Alternatavly i could mount it in the hot plug drive bay but this would mean mounting it vertically, and i dont know if this is an ok thing to do.

Any advice greatly received.
Yours
Paul Killington

3 REPLIES 3
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: DAT DRIVE Question...?

Hi Paul,

What is the model number of your DAT drive (See the labelling)? There are conversion kits for some Sony and HP drives to take them from 3.5 inch to 5.25 inch. These consist of metal brackets for the width and a replacement front plastic bezel. The layout of the buttons and leds obviously dictate the correct replacement bezel.

If you can provide details from the drive it would help identify what you need.
E.G Sony SDT 10000

Fitting won't be a problem on the ML350 G4p. See page 57 onwards from the User Guide. Page 61 shows a DAT drive being fitted.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00310087/c00310087.pdf

Brian
Paul_479
Occasional Contributor

Dear Brian,
Thank you for your reply.

Currently i have a old Compaq 20\40GB dat drive which is ready for hot plug, its part number is 230203-001 and can be seen on http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.asp?mscssid=PM6FU5BSKD9B8K7AMH3F7GJWN8P3DRE6&SearchInc=PartNumber
So i need to take it out of its cradle and attach the mounting kit (which i still dont know the P/N of) to have it fit a CDrom slot.
but i think it would be best to attach it to a separate controler altogether.

yours Paul
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

I think I have exactly what you are looking for except the front bezel is beige.

I looked out an old SDT9000 drive kit and have it as spare. You are welcome to it.

I also have a 230203-001 hotplug drive fitted to a DL380G2 so I stripped it down and measured things up. The 230203-001 is also a SONY make. Check the main label at the top and you should see a SONY reference.

I have taken a couple of pictures which show the 230203-001 with the brackets attached to make it 5.25 inch wide. You could always leave it like this if you don't want to fit the beige bezel. The second picture shows the bezel attached to the brackets ( I didn't remove the old bezel as you can see but the LED and eject button holes all line up correctly).

E-mail me at brian.murdoch@hp.com to make arrangements for delivery if you want the bits. If you wish, I'll do a swap for your hot-plug bits. You could also spray the beige bezel black if you want it to match up.

I hope this helps.

Brian