1752580 Members
3154 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT tape or DLT autoloader

lastgreatone
Regular Advisor

DAT tape or DLT autoloader

anyone know if I'd be able to connect a DLT autoloader to a ProLiant DL380 G4? Or should I be looking at getting a dat tape?
5 REPLIES 5
Anthon Vervoort
Advisor

Check this out:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ISS/13-0001-0001.html#matrixtable

May you look what you need. I prefer DLT, but DAT is cheaper.

Good luck,

Anthon
Anthon
Attila Szab├│
Frequent Advisor

Dear France,

There is two versions of DL380 G4, SCSI and SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) (normal SCSI is 3 3,5", SAS is 2,5" wide). On SCSI models you have an option to use hot-plug DAT Drive (into HDD Slot 5).
HP StorageWorks DAT 72 SCSI Hot-plug Tape Drive (Carbon) option part number: Q1529A.
I dont want to write down all of the tape solution for DL380 G4, but you can find it easily in Quickspec (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12028_div/12028_div.html#Storage), in Storage section (search for "Tape Drives, Tape Autoloaders, & Tape Libraries").
There is a column, called "Controller", there is the recommended SCSI controller for each tape solution.
A common rule is to use a separate SCSI card for tape drives, and connect maximum 2 drives to a channel.
From Quickspec:
"NOTE: The Ultrium 960, Ultrium 448, Ultrium 232 and all DAT drives require one of the following options:
64-Bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2"
The 64-Bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2 option number is 374654-B21.

Maybe that will enought :)
Attila
lastgreatone
Regular Advisor

Thanks for that.

I am installing RedHat ES 3.0 on the server. Do you know if I'll have to install special software to backup the o.s. with a DAT?
lastgreatone
Regular Advisor

I found my answer in the forum, it does.

thanks all.
lastgreatone
Regular Advisor