ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751792 Members
5304 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 120 G5 SATA RAID Issues + No Server '08 Drivers!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Linus Ruth
Occasional Advisor

DL 120 G5 SATA RAID Issues + No Server '08 Drivers!

My company purchased a ProLiant DL 120 G5 with dual 250GB SATA HDs on behalf of the county courthouse. Our intention was to install x64 Server 2008 Basic on it and deploy it as a replacement for an aging Windows 2000 domain controller.

After waiting for a million years, the on-board SATA RAID controller detects both drives. However, if I configure it to do RAID 1 and reboot, the controller reports that one drive is missing and the array is degraded. I'm inclined to believe that the ProLiant shipped with a bad drive. Anyone care to comment?

Also, and possibly more importantly, Server 2008 doesn't seem to have any drivers for the RAID controller! When the setup process starts, and it asks me to pick a volume to install on, it doesn't find anything. Shouldn't it find the RAID 1 volume even if the controller thinks it's degraded and is only operating one HD?

I've tried using the storage drivers posted to the Server '08 support page, but Windows setup claims that it can't find any hardware to use with the drivers with. I even went so far as to manually install the driver for each and every device supported by the driver package, but none of them worked.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
6 REPLIES 6
Linus Ruth
Occasional Advisor

OK, I found another computer with a SATA bus and tested both drives. One of them is defective. I reinstalled only the good drive and deleted the RAID configuration, so it's just a standard, single drive machine. However, x64 Windows Server 2008 setup still doesn't detect the drive! So the driver issue still remains.

HP support: any chance we could get a Server '08 driver for the storage controller?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Linus Ruth
Occasional Advisor

Hi Karlo,

The driver works great! Where did you find it??

Thanks,

Linus
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

it is the same for 2003 x64bits, a driver for 2008 has not been release however it will be the same for 2003
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

I found it some time ago

tehy are the same for ML110 g5 - ML150 g5 - Dl180 G5 - Dl160 G5 ...

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1216630

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!