Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL 120 G6 HD not Detected in BIOS

SOLVED
Go to solution
waneey1
Visitor

DL 120 G6 HD not Detected in BIOS

We just purchased a HP Proliant DL 120 G6 and were trying to setup a HP 2TB 3G SATA 7.2K Hot Plug and we kept on getting the same message during the POST :” 1785-Slot 0 Drive Array Not Configured” The drive does not show in the Bios even though we configured the SATA mode in the BIOS to “RAID”.  When we press F8 we see the drive as a logical drive. The server has a Smart Array P212 SAS/SATA RAID Controller with 256MB cache RAM. When using the easy setup disk we see the drive as well and all diagnostics came back negative. What configuration would make the drive appears in the BIOS?

7 REPLIES
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: DL 120 G6 HD not Detected in BIOS

Hello,

I believe on the DL120 G6 there is the embedded SATA/RAID controller and you apparently also have an extra - a P212 RAID controller. The one that's reporting the error looks like it's the P212. The one you configure in BIOS is the embedded controller.

Cabling?
I suppose you'll have two raid configuration menus during POST - maybe you need to configure both.
waneey1
Visitor

Thank you for your answer. I suspect a cabling issue as well. Two smart arrays are visible in the Array Configuration Utility (ACU): Smart Array P212 Slot 1 and HP Array B110i SATA Raid controller. The P212 slot 1 sees my SATA drive; The B110i shows a yellow exclamation point and nothing seemed to be connected to it. Are these two different Arrays? If yes, where is the B110i located? Could anyone send me a link that shows the cabling of a B110i?

Thank you much

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Look in the DL120 G6 Service and Maintenance Guide. That will have illustrated parts.

The *i might be on the system board.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The B110i is an embedded SATA controller. It is enables in the BIOS settings. the B110i is software RAID. The RAID functionality is controlled by a driver.

The P212 is a hardware RAID controller. When the P212 shows up during POST you should be prompted to press F8 to get into the array configuration utility.  You need to create an array on before the drives will show up to the OS.

Use the P212, as its driver is in most OS's and you don't have to fool with a special driver like needed for the B110i. Disable the RAID function of the B110 in the BIOS

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
waneey1
Visitor

Thanks a lot I read about the B110i configuration:

HP ProLiant 100 Series servers

To enable the controller and set boot order:

1.Power up the server.

2.When prompted during the start-up sequence, access RBSU by pressing the F10 key.

3.Select Advanced or Advanced Settings.

4.Select SATA Configuration or Hard Drive Configuration.

5.Change SATA #1 to RAID

6.Return to the previous screen by pressing the Escape key.

7.Select the Boot Menu by pressing the right arrow key.

8.Select Hard Disk Drives.

9.To assign the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller as the boot controller, set Ctrl 1 to HP

Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller.

10.Press the F10 key to save the setting and to exit RBSU.

The issue with step #5 and #9 is that Sata#1 in the Bios shows [None] and I couldn't change it to Raid.

When I select Hard Disk Configuration in the BIOS, under Hard Drive I see both controller, B110i and P212. Should I disable B110i from there?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Your disks are connected to the P212, not the B110i 

I don't have a unit to look at, but I'd skip steps 4 and 5, or if you've already changed it to RAID change it back to whatever it was by default

step 9 set the P212 as the boot controller

If the unit came configured this way from the factory, you probably didn't need to change any of the settings, and should have just pressed F8 during POST when the P212 firmware message showed on the screen to configure the array. once saved, you would just reboot and load the OS

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
waneey1
Visitor

Thank you very much all your feedbacks helped me greatly. I kept on looking for my 2T HD on the BIOS when in fact the BIOS doesn’t show disks connected to a physical RAID controller. The other setting I had to modify in the BIOS was the SATA mode under HD configuration, from [default] to [RAID] as specified by step#5.