4114 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 140 G3 Problem

Christiaan Pretorius
Occasional Advisor

DL 140 G3 Problem

Hi

I hope someone can help. I have a problem with a DL 140 G3. It does not want to boot from a OS cd.I have tried a Windows and Linux CD, no success. It however boots from a SmartStart CD but the server cannot be installed using SmartStart. I did check the boot order. Is there anything else that needs to be done to get this server to boot from a CD. It is not the CD's and I did try another CD Rom. Same problem.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
9 REPLIES 9
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

Typically the Windows CDs give a prompt that say "Press any key to boot from CD." and requires you to press a key. Smartstart doesn't. Perhaps the system is not recognizing the keyboard response or not displaying the prompt? Is the Windows CD you are using retail or custom burned disc?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS via switch on the systemboard?

To clear CMOS:
1. Remove the top cover following the procedures described on page 30.
2. If necessary, remove any expansion boards, assemblies or cables that prevent access to the
system configuration switch.
3. Locate the system configuration switch (SW2) on the system board.
4. Identify SW2-2 of the switch.
By default, SW2-2 is set to the Off position.
5. Set SW2-2 to the On position.
This will clear the CMOS memory.
6. Switch SW2-2 back to its default Off position.
7. Perform the post-installation procedure described on page 29.
8. During POST, press F10 to access the Setup Utility.
9. Press F9 to load the system default values.
10. Press F10 to save the changes you made and close the Setup Utility.
Christiaan Pretorius
Occasional Advisor

I did took out the cmos battery for a while and the bios did reset but still no luck. It does not show any "press any key to boot from cd" message.

The cd's are custom burned but on a dl 380 g4 server it is working 100%. The linux cd is my own and i know it is working 100% because i've used it 2 days ago.

I will try the bios reset option. Is that much more different from the battery way?

Thanks for the reply
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

Do you have a retail copy of Windows you could try at all?

The bios may not be picking up the boot record on your custom made cd. The bios is quite different on this server compared to the dl380.

I'm more inclined to think the issue is with the custom cd than the server itself, since the SmartStart cd boots ok.

The cdrom the the server also may not like the specific type of media you used to make the cds as well.
Gregg Dorries

If this DL140G3 is using SATA drives and the Embedded controller you need to Boot the server with the OS CD, Hit f6 to add the optionial driver, put the floppy in with the driver file extracted and you'll be all set. Smartstart can only be used on servers that have raid controllers. If you do not have a floppy you can slipstream the driver into your OS CD and boot up that way. Once the OS is on add all the HP Drivers.
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

Gregg, he's not able to boot to the Windows cd at all :)
Gregg Dorries

I see, I see, His media has a missing bootsector issue, Thanks
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

SmartStart is not supported in this server.

see the attached file

and let's see
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Christiaan Pretorius
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Ryan. I have reset the BIOS and all is working 100%. Strange things but true.

Thanks for the reply.
Jos-Admin
Occasional Advisor

I had a problem booting from remote KVM using iLO 100.
I reset the CMOS from the server mother board and it solved the problem!
It took me almost 2 weeks - HP support could not help in this matter.
Hope it will save someone time.