1751735 Members
5996 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL 140 Red Light on front panel

jknight_1
Occasional Advisor

DL 140 Red Light on front panel

My company has installed almost 220 of the series 1 dl 140 at remote sites. A problem that I've been seeing lately in our support center is, the red light on the front panel is coming on. This has happened to 12 servers now. On all these servers I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and cold booted them. This has made the light stay off on most of them. However, there are two currently where the indicator light comes back on.
I ran the windows diagnostics, all of them, and passed everything. I also had a user on site, dump the BIOS logs. These were also inconclusive. Aside from running the other diagnostic, is there anything I can check remotely? Or any fix out there that addresses this? Any Ideas are appriciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: DL 140 Red Light on front panel

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl140/questionsanswers-g2.html

The front panel LEDs are used to help diagnose a server failure. When an internal component fails, the indication is made on the front panel. If the item is serviceable by removing the hood, as in the case of a fan failure, the Internal Health LED will illuminate.

If no failures have occurred, the system health LEDs will be green. If a failure has occurred, but a redundant feature has enabled the system to continue running, the LED will be amber. If the failure is critical and is/has caused the system to shutdown, the LED will be red. These LEDs serve as local indicators for several failure conditions. Insight Manager will continue to report these, and many other failure conditions, as well.

-----------
So run daignostics in loop to check for any error message on the same server.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
jknight_1
Occasional Advisor

The server is a G1. The light is red, not green or amber. The failure is not critical as the server seams to be functioning normally. It could be a fan failure, but would that not show in the BIOS logs?
Also, you said 'insight manager will continue to report these' Where can I go to view those reports?
Perhaps there is an error in the BIOS that needs to be cleared and it will go away?
Thank you for you help!
JK
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for inputs it is g1

Server Status Off = Good
Red = Critical Error as following:
├в ┬в At least one fan failure
├в ┬в At least one processor failure
├в ┬в At least one of the temperature
sensors reached critical
temperature
├в ┬в At least one processor VRM
failure
├в ┬в At least one memory module
exceeds the max single bit error rate
from ref : page 46
http://docs.hp.com/en/349117-001/349117-001.pdf

i suggest to run daignostics in loops to validate the same issu. refer to the following doc to validate the leds status on the server.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
jknight_1
Occasional Advisor

7/25/2005 Voltage Low Warn 50 B4 B5
7/25/2005 Voltage Low Warn 50 A7 A8
7/25/2005 Voltage Err 52 B0 B1
This is a copy of a BIOS log that was dumped a while ago. A complete shutdown/reboot of the computer cleared the error for a while. I'm going to dump the logs again to see if it changed. Any Ideas on this "Voltage err"?
Thanks
jknight_1
Occasional Advisor

I replaced the Power supply on this unit and the problem is no longer occuring. I opened a ticket with HP on it.