1748249 Members
3309 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 160 G5 Firmware issues

Votan
Occasional Advisor

DL 160 G5 Firmware issues

Just updated the bios to the recent 2010 version. Fans now always spin at full speed. So I checked back and saw that I need to update the ILO firmware, too (Thanks HP for not telling in the update instructions!). USB media boots fine but after showing "rompaq needs some minutes to start" it sits there forever doing nothing anymore. Waited for an hour but nothing is happening anymore. So tried to downgrade the bios to the older 2009 version via usb media... but this also does not work anymore as this also halts at the same point. (Tried all steps several times... )

Unfortunately I'm running 6 DL160 G5stuffed with max ram/hdd that need to get updated.... else I would just dump that machine that never gave me anything but trouble (actually all of those machines).

I'm really ****** about the really bad firmwares. All the older ones always coused trouble during updating... that's probably why I stopped updating. But need to do so now for given reasons.

So if anyone knows a way how to get the ilo firmware updated or the bios downgraded again, please let me know! Don't wanna end up with a pile of 6 trash-servers worth several thousand bucks!

2 REPLIES 2
Votan
Occasional Advisor

Nevermind, got it sorted. TFTP did the trick... still, these servers and all the different firmware releases and installation processes really suck big time! HP is not even able to provide a rompaq.exe version that is capable of extracting firmware images under x64 windows systems.... still 16 bit! LOL.... the 80s are over!!!!

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The 100 series never really was proliant hardware including tools (no ILO, no RBSU, etc...), good to see it replaced by 300e series (with ILO, etc).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!