1752402 Members
5927 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 180 G5 reboot on HDD load

Jose Huerta

DL 180 G5 reboot on HDD load

Hi all,

I have a problem with a recently purchased DL 180 G5 server. We added four 750 GB SATA drives in RAID 5 for data and two 160 GB SATA drives in RAID 1 for system. We are using the E200 controller.
We have 6 GB RAM (2x2, 2x1) and Windows 2008 x64.

When we try to transfer all the data from our old servers to the RAID 5, the server reboots.

We have installed the OS three times, and the problem is reproducible. The steps are:
1.- Install the SO.
2.- Set the admin pass.
3.- Deactivate IP6
4.- Set IP4 fixed.
5.- Reboot
6.- Activate remote desktop.
From now, all is performed using remote desktop.
7.- Update windows with all recommended updates. Reboot
8.- Install AD DS
9.- Create a domain with dcpromo. Reboot
10.- Connect to three servers and start transmission of files.
5 min - 30 min -> Automatic reboot during file transmission.

So, any idea?

Must I install any controller?

It can by a lack of antivirus software?

Must I call HP service?
4 REPLIES 4
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

- try at first run a diagnostic on HP smartcd.

- what about the microsoft updates, ???
in our company, we install all OS patches and them the server will joined to the domain, them Antivirus and security protection.

- how did you install the OS ? Whith the HP smartcd preinstalation tasks ??? Or simply booted from Windows instalation CD.

- what about the drivers ??? did you install the newest ??? try older drivers.

- if the reboot of the server happen, what for message will send to the eventlog ?? Unexpected shutdown ???

mikap
Jose Huerta

Hi Mikap,

First of all, thank you for your attention. I feel like a newbie...

- try at first run a diagnostic on HP smartcd.

I'll try, let's see what say.

- what about the microsoft updates, ???
in our company, we install all OS patches and them the server will joined to the domain, them Antivirus and security protection.

When I say, installing recommended updates, I meant updating from microsoft update.

- how did you install the OS ? Whith the HP smartcd preinstalation tasks ??? Or simply booted from Windows instalation CD.

I simply booted from the windows installation CD. I will reinstall it using the preinstalation tasks.

- what about the drivers ??? did you install the newest ??? try older drivers.

I do not install any driver, and let the operative system to download them from the internet. With Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 it gave me better result.

- if the reboot of the server happen, what for message will send to the eventlog ?? Unexpected shutdown ???
The eventlog don't write anything at the crash. When rebooting it ask for the reason for the unexpected shutdown, and put that event in the event log. It is exactly the same behavior as when turning off power.

I'll try reinstalling the OS tomorrow morning and tell you if it works. Thanks again.

Regards,

Jose Huerta
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi Jose,

First of all, thank you for your attention. I feel like a newbie...

- you don't need to feel like a newbie, from my site it was a normal questions to become more information.

I do not install any driver, and let the operative system to download them from the internet. With Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 it gave me better result.

- yes in some cases, it could be a better ( or the best ) solution, but i would use HP drivers, because are from the vendor.

mikap
Jose Huerta

Seems like the problem has been solved. Last version of the RAID controller's firmware, and it doesn't reboot.

But now the RAID is very slow. I can only get speeds of 10MB/s when copying a big archive between two folders of the same unit. It is a RAID 5 with four hard drives, and the specs of each hard drive are about 100 MB/s. So speeds of 175 MB/s are expected when copying archives to itself.

Thanks a lot for your attention and help.