3530 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

DL 185 G5 problems

levd
Occasional Visitor

DL 185 G5 problems

Hi there,

We have 2 DL 185 G5 servers running as fileservers in our company.

On the moment we are experiencing problems with these servers, unplanned reboots, hanging RDP sessions.

Im looking for updated drivers / servicepacks on the HP site however it seems only w2k3 datacenter is supported is this the case? (DL 185 G5 - productid: AG914A), we are running W2K8 on it.

Also on both servers in device manager we have a exclamation mark with the raid controller, however on the other hand the raid controllers seem to be installed fine.

Anyone that can help me with this?

Thanks!

LEvd

8 REPLIES 8
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: DL 185 G5 problems

levd
Occasional Visitor

Hi Johan,

Thanks for the reply, we are running R2 on it :( any idea if this will work?

Also do you know if the problems we are experiencing with the servers have got something to do with the incorrect installed Raid controllers?

Or do you have an other idea?

Thx,

Lody.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Ah too bad.

I don't know how bad it will be, maybe there are other threads on this forum with people who have tried to run Win2k8 R2 on this box?

Well, have you checked out the windows event log? Does that give any nice events telling you what might be the cause? If it mentions the raid controller driver in there then yes, maybe that's why.

Has the server always been doing this?

You may want to check out firmware on the whole machine and maybe the ILO/IML Log could tell you some more information.
levd
Occasional Visitor

Hi Johan,

Ok thanks for your advice i will spend some more time in the windows logs.

The servers always had problems, but the rebooting is from the last few days.

Just wondering why there are no w2k8 r2 drivers, the servers are not that old.

Levd

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hope you find something in there.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/windows/index.html

If you click on 'retired servers' you'll see that the DL180 G5 is supported on R2, but the DL185 G5 is not. Why this is the case I do not know.
levd
Occasional Visitor

Hi Johan,

Thanks for the info, a lesson learned to first find out if a server is supported for the OS you're planning to install.

I managed to install the correct driver for the raid controller so the exclamation mark is gone :)

Thx,

Levd

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello and good work!

If somebody else finds this thread and has the same question: which driver did you install and where did you find it?
levd
Occasional Visitor