108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL 320 G2 with Lights-Out II "no mouse detected"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Esteban Cazarez_1
Occasional Advisor

DL 320 G2 with Lights-Out II "no mouse detected"

I installed a Lights-Out II adapter on a 1U DL320-G2. Everything works except that there is no mouse available when I remote into the adapter? I installed the necessary cables to the adapter (30-pin cable), etc. but no mouse detected at all? What am I doing wrong? The mouse is connected properly to the adapter and the server. Please email me at esteban28@hotmail.com if you have a solution for this. Also, the mouse work fine under Windows 2000 Advance server. The problem is when I remote in to the Lights-Out Adapter "only".

Server: DL320-G2 with all latest SoftPaqs
Special Patches: I even installed the Optimizer Mouse SoftPaq
RAM: 640 MB
Adapter: Lights-Out II (Latest Firmware Updated)
8 REPLIES 8
Esteban Cazarez_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL 320 G2 with Lights-Out II "no mouse detected"

Please email me a solution because this is driving me crazy to esteban28@hotmail.com.

Does the adpater have issues with specific KVM devices? We are using Avacent KVM switch for our servers.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Esteban,
I am not sure if you are using a PCI KVM or not but if you are then I know that there is an issue with the COMPAQ PCI KVMs. I understand you are not using the same brand. Just have a look at the following:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/rack-options/kvm/index.html

As soon as I find out more I shall post it for you.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Esteban,
Please try the following:

This issue may occur even if the client side does not need to pass through the proxy in order to hit the RILOE II. The mere presence of the Proxy Server without the below mentioned exceptions causes this issue.

For IE:

Click on "Tools", "Internet Options", and then "Connection".

Click on "LAN Settings". Make sure that the "Bypass proxy server for local addresses" box is checked. This will ensure that short names will not use a proxy server.

Click on "Advanced". The "Proxy Setting" window will appear. Under "Exceptions", enter the IP address and/or the fully qualified name of the Remote Insight Lights-Out Edition. Wildcards can be used to indicate all addresses within a certain domain, (i.e. *.domain.com, or 192.168.1.*). When an attempt to access a web site is made, Internet Explorer 5.0 cross checks it with this list to determine if a proxy server should be used. If a proxy server is not required to access external internet sites, uncheck the "Use a proxy server" box, the "Advanced" settings can then be skipped.

Please let me know how you make out.

Regards,
Esteban Cazarez_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the feedback. To answer your question, no I am not using a PCI KVM switch. The DL320-G2 server is connected to a regular 8-port Avacent KVM switch. The Lights-Out Adapter is using the black Y cable which connected to the physical KVM and interconnected to the physical ports of the server. Basically the black Y cable is connected properly to the server. I am probably missing a connection in the motherboard or perhaps it's my luck that the Light-Out cable might not work? Anyway, the mouse is present under Windows 2000 locally but disapear when I remote in to RILOE Adapter. I'll keep digging around but I never had any issues with Compaq. We are using also IBM Remote Adapters on IBM Servers with absolutely no problem with mice.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Esteban,
Here is the link for cable info:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/riloe2/server-slot-matrix.html

Regards,
Esteban Cazarez_1
Occasional Advisor

Yes. I verified that cable G = P/N 241793-010 (30-pin cable) ships with RILOE II kit,
is installed. I'll look at again when I get to work. For now, I give up. I am basically handicap with a remote mouse :)
Esteban Cazarez_1
Occasional Advisor

No. The client side is not passing through a proxy at all. No need to configure it becuase I will need to actually set an IP addess in order to enter the exclusion. I believe that it is something on the Lights-Out Adapter. I also get the following error "KPB Cable not detected" if I try to power off the server. Looks like I am missing something or the DL320-G2 have issues with Lights Out II adapters.
Esteban Cazarez_1
Occasional Advisor

Alright guys, I fixed the mouse problem. It turns out that the 30-pin cable was not seated properly to the main board. According to the Lights-Out II setup, this particular server does not need to have an external keyboard and mouse present. I can manage the server using the remote adapter but now I have a bigger problem. It turns out that I can't use my Kim├в s keyboard/mouse because of this issue. Basically, it's either the internal Key/Mouse or the external one. I can't have both on the DL320-G2. Has anyone experience this problem? I can connect black Y-connector to the RILOE II and to the Kim├в s keyboard/mouse input but I get an error stating that the Lights-Out II can only have internal Keyboard/Mouse connected. This is a big problem and I hope Compaq can address this issue.

Esteban Cazarez
IT System Administrator
esteban28@hotma