7520 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL 320 G3 SATA ROM with SCSI Drives and controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sinkers

DL 320 G3 SATA ROM with SCSI Drives and controller

Have just taken delivery of 2 HP DL320 G3 servers which I'm attempting to build to Windows 2003 server. When booting to SmartStart I initially got a message stating that "ACU did not detect any supported Controllers in your system". The BIOS shows 4 Controllers: (1) Intel 6300 ESB SATA (2) PCI Bus (3) HP 64 Bit U320 Port1 (4) HP 64 Bit U320 Port2.
A peek under the bonnet shows 2 x 72Gb HD hooked up to a LSI Logic Ultra 320 SCSI card.
When I enabled RAID on SATA via the BIOS (Advanced), I could start the controller Config by hitting A, but cannot configure the array because there are no drives in either SATA port.
Have I taken delivery of servers with incompatible hardware (SATA ROM, but only SCSI drives connected) or is there a problem with the way I'm attempting to configure it.
BTW SmartStart now says "the primary controller configured in your system is not supported by this version of SmartStart" and ACU still says "Did not detect any supported controllers in your system"
Please find attached a shaky cam phone shot of the BIOS screen... Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Re: DL 320 G3 SATA ROM with SCSI Drives and controller

Hi Sinkers!

ACU don't recognized non-SmartArray controllers, such as LSI, embedded SATA and so on.
Configure RAID1 at first. Do MANUAL install of operation system booting from OS CD, using floppy with SCSI drivers if it will be necessary. After installation apply Proliant Support Pack to system.

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If you're not using the SATA raid, then go into the Rom Based Setup, select the option for software raid and change it to disabled (also verify the controller order is set to port 1 of the U320 scsi adapter). The install off of Smart Start should work fine then.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Sinkers

Thanks both, for your prompt replies.
Unfortunately, I have tried both options suggested with no success.

Suggestion (1) Build the OS first then apply PSP
- After F6ing at the start of the install and then manually installing the SATA drivers (downloaded from HP) I then attempted to install the OS, I received a message stating "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" and no further option to configure any, just a quit install option.
"Ah ha" You say, "You need to configure the array through the RBSU first!" - Well, I tried that, but after selecting A at BIOS and selecting the configure array option, there are no disks to assign to an array, which leaves no option but to exit the config utility, and I'm back where I started.

Suggestion (2) Disable SATA RAID in RBSU and reset the PCI slot 1 as the preferred Boot controller
- My first attempts to configure the array were under exactly that configuration, I retried it this morn (for my sanity's sake) and sure enough the ACU STILL cannot detect a controller... The odd thing is that the front screen of SmartStart shows a full list of available controllers (Embedded SATA, 2 different U320 SCSI's and more) in the bottom half of the screen, but then can't discover *any* on the next screen.

Shot in the dark: It's almost like the disk drives aren't plugged into the SCSI controller (I can physically confirm that they ARE, but the symptoms are sort of what I would expect if there was no HD in the box at all). Another clue is that in the original screenshot I uploaded, the capacity field in the controller status check at BIOS is BLANK... Is there any way I can confirm that the SCSI controller can see the disks?
Another query I have: (Excuse the naivety) Is it possible for an embedded SATA controller to "drive" a SCSI card and hardware in the first place? - I was under the impression that they were totally different animals and you either used one or the other?

Once again, Thanks in advance. Max points are definitely on the table - I've wasted a day and a half for something that might be as dumb as a jumper on the wrong way 'round....
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Sinkers, why did you installed SATA drivers, instead SCSI?! Disable SATA - SATA disks not present on your server. As I know 64-bit/133-MHz Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI host bus adapter recognized by installation setup programm automatically. This related to Win2k/Win2k3 Server
Sinkers

Thanks Ruslan, I must admit, I misunderstood your first post, will try the SCSI manual install and configure and let you know how it goes...
Sinkers

OK, Manually installing SCSI drivers as part of OS install is still not successful , gets to first part of OS install (after installing SCSI driver manually) and fails with the same error mentioned before (No disk present). Also, tried ROM update as mentioned at:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23273.html

ROM updated successfully, but still cannot detect disks.

I believe the problem is now as simple as this: The SCSI card cannot see the Hard disks.

-CAPACITY on BIOS screen is still blank (see attachment at top of thread) Also storage in Smartstart shows only an optical and floppy drive.

Does that ring any bells for anyone?
Ruslan
Respected Contributor
Solution

I'm not sure, but I saw one strange detail in your sreenshot - SCSI ID of drives. 7 - this is SCSI ID of controller or disks? Do you connect disks manually to SCSI or there are hot swap cages
Sinkers

OK - well it's sorted.

Flaming SCSI ID jumpers.

All were set to the same ID (on both servers) , so the channel was getting the same ID from 2 sources and interfering both of them out...Result: No Drives recognised.

Disconnected and terminated SCSI ribbon from one drive and booted - VOILA!

Thanks all.