4837 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL 320s - max hard disk size

SOLVED
Go to solution
Se├бn O Sullian

DL 320s - max hard disk size

Could anyone confirm one way or the other if the DL 320s supports 1TB SATA disks?

The spec only mentions 750G, and can't seem to be able to get clarification one way or the other.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: DL 320s - max hard disk size

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Sean

As fas as I can see there is no 1TB HDD from HP

so the only option is 750GB

check also here
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/serial/sata/index.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Se├бn O Sullian

Thanks, but that link simply states HP will provide upto 750G disks (since HP don't manufacture 1TB disks, yet).

I'm trying to find out if I use a Western Digital (for instance) 1TB disk, will it work, or is there some firmware restriction on the SA P400 ?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Sean,

As per
h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12400_div/12400_div.pdf
Even P400 dont support 1TB Disk.(Obviously HP will not test 3rd party hardware)

**The Quickspecs indicates the options parts which are TESTED by HP.
Hence, the functionality of a 1TB disk ... is not sure.
Its your call if you want to try it.

Regards.
Se├бn O Sullian

Yeah, gathered that - point of thread was hoping someone else had done that test.
e4services
Honored Contributor

My 2 cents is, there is no reason that it would not work. These documents are not, as you seem to understand, a good reference for you answer since they are written when the servers are released and the disks were not available yet.
To note the other response above,
HP does not 'manufacture' hard disks, just putting their label on a SATA disk. Looking at what is available, Seagate ST31000340AS and Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 again there is no service notes or warnings nor any about limitations of SATA BIOS and disk capacity.
HP doe not make the controller either, therefore a controller manufacture may be a better reference to verify that there is no limitations to SATA Firmware/BIOS, but I am pretty sure there is not. Looking at the Adaptec site, again, there is no service notes or warnings nor any about limitations of SATA BIOS and disk capacity.

I would just go for it.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Well, Yes you are right e4Services & I would totally Agree with the fact that HP does not manufacture HDD nor the Controller.

However, having said that, I would only go for the recommended option parts; Rather risking the overall performance & my data on an unsupported hardware.. & more importantly my time.

Regards.
Se├бn O Sullian

Thanks for all the responses.
As it turns out - I forgot need to get HP caddies, which can only be gotten with HP disks...

I was aware HP didn't manufacture the disks, and that they were simply tested with such disks. I am aware also that there are cases that certain firmwares are made so that they only work with certain disk models, so was hoping for first hand experience, no matter.

Thanks again, I'll close the thread now.
Se├бn O Sullian

As per previous posting.