cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL 360 Deleted Logical Drive to get back working

RobertShannon
Occasional Visitor

DL 360 Deleted Logical Drive to get back working

On inital boot up of a working Win2000 OS DL 360 server it senses the Logical Drive from the Smart array Controller. I installed a second drive (Same type to do a ghost image) went into PF8 to create the 2nd logical Drive. Saved and the system continued to boot. the system did not boot up with the Win2000 OS drive. it came back looking at the a: Hard Drive C: and NIC: came back stating the media was not detected or plugged in. continued and it came back as Non-system disk or Disk Error. What happened is then i swapped the Drives (Slot1 to Slot2 and 2 to 1) Still the same. So i removed the new drive and the system reconised that it was removed. i did a PF2 then a PF8 to delete the Failed Logical Drive. I also by mistake Deleted the Logical Drive of the working hard drive. Now it does not come back at all. it states the came back looking at the a: Hard Drive C: and NIC: came back stating the media was not detected or plugged in. continued and it came back as Non-system disk or Disk Error.

Is there any way to recover this Drive to a working State? I have recreated as a Logical drive a few times in the different slots and to no luck.
I cant believe that the Data is Gone.
2 REPLIES
sgunelius
Valued Contributor

Re: DL 360 Deleted Logical Drive to get back working

Robert,

If you deleted the logical drive, then you're probably out of luck. It is usually a good practice to have a good backup before making changes to the logical drives.

Maybe someone else on the forum has a better solution, but I think you'll have to recover from a backup or rebuild from scratch.

Scott
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Re: DL 360 Deleted Logical Drive to get back working

Hi Robert,

If it was upto me to recover the data, I would find another running Proliant server with SmartArray (or better) and two extra spare drive slots, and install the R-Studio data recovery software (www.r-studio.com). Once up and running, hot plug those 2 disks in, and let the software scan the disks. If the software does not recognise the 2 disks, I would then assign it as logical drive in SmartArray (although it may lose even more data by doing that), so that the software can see the drives. Just make sure you don't write anything on the 2 disks.

This method will mostly likely won't work if the Windows build was encrypted.

Good luck.

Gus

ps: Please assign points if the post was useful.
Learning never ends