3404 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL 360 G3 Pci Bus Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Tucci

DL 360 G3 Pci Bus Question

I need to install a usb 2.0 card in the pci-x slot on my proliant dl360 g3 to run backups faster to an external usb 2.0 drive.

I can't seem to find server class PCI-x usb 2.0 cards, but there's plenty of non-x pci usb 2.0 cards. However, it seems that installing one drops the pci-x bus speed to the old pci standard.

Are the pci-x slots on a different pci bus than the built in scsi and ethernet on the dl360 g3?

I ask because I don't want bottlenecks if all of these slots and integrated compenents have to share the lower bus speed.

Thanks,

Chris
www.customblends.com
3 REPLIES 3
weik
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: DL 360 G3 Pci Bus Question

Hello Chris

The Server Works Chipset GC-LE supports two PCI-X Slots and there are on different buses (take a look at picture from the ProLiant docu).

On each Slot/Bus, there one of the NiC ports. If you use only one NiC port...

Regards
kurt
Chris Tucci

Thanks for the response -

I couldn't find that image map in the online documentation, or I missed it - would you happen to have a link to it?

I'm using two ethernet ports + Ilo. I think I'd should have that 'wildside' (isp) port master at a slower speed because the connection to the ISP (regular broadband) would seem less critical than bottlenecking the LAN side client transactions. And only one vpn user anyway.

Just thinking... and thanks again -

Chris
Chris Tucci

Oh, sorry Weik, new to the forum, just saw the attachment.

Thanks!

Chris