ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751894 Members
5158 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 360 G5, HP Smat Start and Support Pack 8, windows server 2008 x64 install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karen Holt
Advisor

DL 360 G5, HP Smat Start and Support Pack 8, windows server 2008 x64 install

Initially, we tried to use Smart Start 8 - first to use the AUC to create a drive and partition and then to deploy windows server 2008 but found the same 'flat file' issue and missing files even when we tried a USB.
We finally successfully installed Windows Server 2008 by exiting Smart Start straight after using the AUC, rebooting and just installing from DVD and deleting and recreating the drive from within setup.Prior to this we were getting a 0xF4 stop error due to Smart Start 8 and memory over 7GB (it has 2 x 4GB modules) but this way we installed server 2008 enterprise x64 without issue.We did windows Updates (bombed out on 2, installed 2), added it to the domain so rebooted two or three times then we installed the latest HP Support Pack version 8 to update all the drivers. Since then every time it starts we get a blue screen of death with a stop error of 0x00000050 which is hardware apparently - CPU, RAM or motherboard. We have run windows memory diagnostics and that says memory is fine and we can't even boot in safe mode without the same BSOD. Is this likely to be hardware - it has 2 x quad core CPU, 8GB RAM and is attached also via an E500 to an MSA 70 or is it one of the Support Pack drivers?
This server is going to only have one role - Hyper-V .
18 REPLIES 18
Karen Holt
Advisor

Re: DL 360 G5, HP Smat Start and Support Pack 8, windows server 2008 x64 install

Sorry, just double checked and apart from the fact that I mean the ACU not the AUC (too tired and frustrated :-( and a lousy typist at the best of times!) it isn't PSP 8 -I am downloading that now - it must have been the PSP prior to that - 7.91? or 7.8? - I think the former. Perhaps, if it is a driver issue PSP 8 will solve that but I think I will need to do a complete
re-install as I can't boot into safe mode.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi4

so let me see did you use PSP 8.0 to deploy your server? if not it is highly recommendable

and check this thread for the flat issue
you have to write down this for OS directory

/mount/dvd/

my last thread

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/postanswer.do?threadid=1207183&forumId=1&closedFlag=0

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Karen Holt
Advisor

Karlo,

Many thanks - I will try that tomorrow and let you know. I haven't got to the part when I can install PSP 8 as I get a continual BSOD before windows 2008 install completes- a 0x50 or in safe mode- a C0000218.
I am using Smart Start 8 to create my arrays and drives and then exiting and booting from the windows DVD to install server 2008 but tomorrow I will try your way and deploy from within Smart Start and see if that works. I ran the diagnostics from the smart start CD and it found no hardware errors yet that apparently is what a 0x50 stop error is!!
I am becoming very frustrated needless to say!
Karen Holt
Advisor

OK, I tried installing windows Server 2008 enterprise x64 through Smart Start deploy and everything went swimmingly (/mount/dvd/ works beautifully) until the final phase of the installation and now the error message received is:Windows could not apply unattend settings during phase (null) - where to now?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

according to you previous post server has 2 Procs I don't how many DIMMS

and also you got the server up but after installing PSP server was getting BSOD even in safe mode

-------- my recommendations

- has the server latest firmware 8.0?

- try again Smartstart but minimize server 1 Proc, 2 DIMMS, no PCI cars. it that does work

- try again windows manually no Smartstart
if you get it up install PSP 8.0 and put components back

if definitely issue continues I would say faulty system board

regards
Karen Holt
Advisor

Thanks, Karlo. I downloaded the latest version of Smart Start 8 which they say to label as SS 8.10x64 and this time I did not receive the unattend.xml error but once again the installation bombed out with the message 'Windows could not update registry data in the installation'.

As the server has the latest firmware I think I have run out of ptions -we have have tried installing with less memory and the external storage is not yet attached so I think your supposition that it is the main board is probably correct so I shall log a support call tomorrow. I will update this post with the outcome.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

ok

log the call and let us know

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi again something that hp support might tell you do is clear NVRAM and use erase utility and try install OS again

so be prepared
Karen Holt
Advisor

Once again, thank you Karlo - I was going to use the erase utility anyway so today - one last time - I used the erase utility to wipe everything, used the firmware 8.0 CD to update 3 drivers - the iLo one which can cause a BSOD apparently and the two Smart Array cards - then used SS 8.10 to create an array on the onboard storage and created just one logical drive, then exited, rebooted and using a freshly burned DVD installed Windows 2008 (as per HP Implementing W2k08 on Proliant servers document) and now at the first reboot in the installation another BSOD - Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_area!

So I have exhausted every eventually at my disposal and now just about to ring HP because it must be hardware!

I'll let you know.