ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753648 Members
5991 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 360 G5, HP Smat Start and Support Pack 8, windows server 2008 x64 install

SOLVED
Go to solution
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL 360 G5, HP Smat Start and Support Pack 8, windows server 2008 x64 install

hi

yes well I think is HW like I told you before... so log that call would be great

something else

Smartstart 8.10??? is there a new release?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Karen Holt
Advisor

Karlo,

I have logged the call and they are going to replace the system board so we'll see if that fixes things.

As for Smart Start I downloaded it from the DL 360 support site and its date was a little later than the original one we downloaded and when you read the read me for burning it to DVD it says to label the CD as Smart Start 8.10 x64.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Capel
Frequent Advisor

hi

Karen any update ?

regards
Karen Holt
Advisor

Yes, there is an update.
The HP engineer replaced the system board of Friday, we re-ran the firmware update which updated the iLo driver to version 2 again and installed an update for the server - interestingly the BIOS date on this (new)board was 11/2007 whereas the one he replaced was 01/2008 but there was no update on the firmware CD.
I followed the HP guide and didn't use Smart Start for the install but booted from the Windows Server DVD, went though the installation and had the same result at the end - BSOD 0x50.
So the engineer is returning tomorrow - Monday - to replace more hardware - I suspect either the memory - all though it passes all diagnostics - or the CPUs. Failing that the only other thing would have to be the Smart Array 400i driver or the Smart Array E500 card or driver.

I'll update tomorrow evening with the result.
The engineer tells me they do't ususally have problems with DL360 G5s so I guess I'm just lucky!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

thanks for the info

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171003

yes http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171003

but I don't know if you had more that memory DIMMs in case you tried a combination of them to check which module(s) are causing in case they are as well as CPUs

-----
here it is a new system rom version just in case that you can update using either usb - cdrom - 2008.01.24 (30 Jan 2008)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121486&swItem=MTX-d84e36c3f6944cb7a2e5a13668&prodNameId=3288144&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Karen Holt
Advisor

Another update:

The HP technician came back on Monday and we spent a day removing one thing at a time and reinstalling - he could only bring one memory module so we replaced one - no luck -so we took the other module out and replaced the original one along side the new single replacement module and lo and behold we were able to install Windows Server 2008 Enterpsie edition. I have since been able to install the support pack, update the firmware, download windows updates etc etc and enable hyper-v and the server has behaved well. It is interesting that no memory tests detected a faulty memory and now I think the second module must also be faulty because I am failing on every attempt at installing a guest OS - also windows server 2008 with an 0x800706F8 error during the expanding files stage.

I have also had no luck attaching its storage an MSA 70 - it doesn't matter how many different ways I create an array or arrays and logical drives it bums out on saving the configuration!!

I think this server is jinxed - but I have now logged two more support calls so I will keep everyone posted in case this can be of use to someone one day.
Karen Holt
Advisor

Finally on Friday the server's issues were fixed. We had changed the second memory module to no avail and running the Array Diagnostics in order to solve the problem with the MSA indicated that there was an issue with the embedded P400i smart array controller so this was changed and finally guest OSes installed without error.

The MSA has had its mid and back planes changed but this has not rectified the problem so now its only the I/O module left.

Anyway, thank you to all who helped, it is appreciated.
Karen Holt
Advisor

As stated in my final posting, replacing the memory module and the embedded P400i fixed the issues with the server. The issue with the MSA 70 remains but as we only have one more part of it to replace I expect that to be fixed shortly.