New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 360 G5 Slot 2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Diego Russo_1
Occasional Advisor

DL 360 G5 Slot 2

I have the following PCIe cards:

A) Intel E10G41AT2 10GBASE-T NIC (PCIe 4x slot)
B) SuperMicro AOC-SG-i4 Quad-GBASE-T NIC (PCIe 4x slot)

Both of them work if I put them in the slot #1 of the DL 360 G5 and both of them DON'T work if I put them in the slot #2.

Our DL 360 G5 has the original raiser with the following slots:
slot #1: PCIe 4x half size
slot #2: PCIe 8x full size

I cannot find anything about the PCIe slots configuration in the user guide and nothing in the Internet. How to make the slot #2 work? What should I do?
12 REPLIES 12
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

Compatible hardware for check the below link.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12476_div/12476_div.HTML

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Diego Russo_1
Occasional Advisor

The point is not if the NICs I have are compatible or not: they prefectly work if put in the slot #1.

My cards don't work ONLY when in the slot #2.
Diego Russo_1
Occasional Advisor

Does the DL 360 G5 slot #2 need to be activated in some ways? (jumpers? bios settings?) or could the raiser be faulty? (even if I don't see any interlock error on the front display)
Diego Russo_1
Occasional Advisor

I have just updated the DL 360 G5 to with the latest firmware CD (8.70) but nothing changed :-(

everything I put in the slot #1 works
everything I put in the slot #2 doesnt

any idea?

my cards are PCIe x4 cards and the slot #1 is PCIe x4, but the slot #2 is PCIe x8... could be any limitation on the slot #2? Could it be possible that I can only put PCIe card that use all the 8 lanes in the slot #2?
TTr
Honored Contributor

Slot #2 is the convertible slot between PCIe and PCI-x. It not being active makes me suspect the PCIe expansion board that you install in the PCI riser. Take a look at the user guide on pages 46 and 49.

Ensure the PCIe expansion board in inserted correctly into the PCI riser assembly.

Inspect the PCIe socket in the PCI riser for any connector damage. Do the same with the PCIe connector for slot #2.

Check if there is anything in the BIOS that controls the PCI slot #2 for PCIe vs. PCI-x settings, being enabled etc.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

I have been searching the web, to find a good answer to your question.

It seem, there's no limitations on putting a card with fewer lanes in a PCIe bus.
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2004/07/pcie.ars/6

Any Proliant server should work with everything strait out of the box.
I don't know if it's possible to disable slots, but just to make sure, you can clear the COMS.
There's 2 (3) ways to clear the CMOS.
During POST, when promted hit F9 to open the RBSU (BIOS setup)
Und system or advanced you will find the option to clear the CMOS. But be carefull
There's 2 options to do so.
The first option clear the CMOS only.
The other option, also clear the RAID configuration !!! so read carefully or remove the Hard drives before you clear (While server is powered off)

Another way is to clear the CMOS using a switch on the system board.
Look inside the lid, for wich switch to use.

You can also use the Smart Start CD, but that will delete your RAID also.

My guess is that you have got a defective system I/O board.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Diego Russo_1
Occasional Advisor

we have another DL360 G5 with the exact same configuration of the first one, and today I have tried the PCIe boards in the slot #2 of the second DL360 G5 server: THEY WORK !!

So I have contacted the HP technical support and they are going to replace the DL 360 mainboard.

So the problem was the faulty mainboard! (never seen a faulty mainboard on an HP server, but s**t happens!)
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

It does happen :)

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Diego Russo_1
Occasional Advisor

now I have a new problem: the PCIe board I am trying to make work is a brand new Intel 10 Gigabit AT2 Server Adapter (10GbE on RJ45) and it is seen as "Intel unknown device" by Citrix XenServer HP Edition that is running on my DL 360 G5

...but this is another issue so it probably needs another thread to be open.