1753765 Members
5675 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

DL 360 G5P Raid question

MorrisonHomes
Advisor

DL 360 G5P Raid question

I am not sure if  am  tottally out to lunch on this one or not it is friday after all, We have two identical DL 360G5P both running raid 1 lets call them server A and server B (very creative i know)

The problem is Server A is running server 2008 r2 working great perfect no problems, Server B is running server 2003 and the OS is messed up on it and it needs to be rebuilt, These are citrix servers so they have a lot of tweaks done to them to make them work how the people want.

Both servers have a smart array controller and i thought i heard this was possible with these controllers.

Can i take the second drive from server A and put it into server B and have it boot up then sysprep it and have it be identical to server A and have the Raid 1 rebuild to the other drive? Will this work? I know you can move a whole array on the smart array to a new server and it will work but can you move a partial array?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Traugott
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL 360 G5P Raid question

Hallo,

does anybody has an answer to this question?

would be very interesting for me too, because I have two identical servers ( Proliant ML 350G 5 with Raid 1, where the second one is only used, if the other fails. Would be very nice to have identical configuration and AD.

Regards

Traugott

MorrisonHomes
Advisor

I found a doucment the other day that might help if you want to look at it as well i think it will accomplish this the other option i guess is ghost it but I know ghost and raid sometimes dont play nice together.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The official break option mentioned in the beginning in the document (where U need a SAAP license) is only available on SAS controllers, not on SCSI controllers... And U need the license.

The manual procedure, yes it works since I did it already... Allthough know that the full process like U do it may not be officially supported but yes it worked for me... Most important is that the Raid controller firmware is the same, actually all the other firmware and drivers also...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !