1752822 Members
4118 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL 360 G6 DUAL X5675 / Booting with one but not with 2 cpus inside

MD4
Visitor

DL 360 G6 DUAL X5675 / Booting with one but not with 2 cpus inside

Hi, i have a DL360 G6 currently at home to upgrade it. Ram Upgrade fine / First CPU Upgrade fine. CPU is detected and works normal. But if i put the second cpu in the system, it wont boot. The fans start slowly and ramp up, then down again. This is an infinit loop.

I tried:

- Running with minimal (1 DIMM per CPU / 2 DIMMS per CPU)

- Resseting NVRAM and BIOS

- Updating ROM to newest version, also to older version

- I looked for bent pins on the second cpu socket, but if i only put a cpu in there, it boots until ilo2 config, and then it halts because "Cpu is in wrong socket"....

- Checked and Swapped Fans, isnt a problem.

- Plugging both power supplies in

- Ilo2 Doesnt show anything. It says no information available...

- The CPUs are the same, and i dont know why 1 would run, but the second doesnt. Is there anything else i can try?

PLEASE HELP ME.... i am working 13 hours on this and havent found a solution or a answer. Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

As per sharing information, suspecting an issue with the memory configuration.

If you are using two processors then you have to install memory accordingly.

Please follow the below memory configuration guide.

HPE ProLiant DL360 G6 Server - Configuring Memory

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c01761995&docLocale=en_US

Share the below information, if the issue still persists.

1. Share POST error message, if it is there.

2. Front LED indication.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c01716841&docLocale=en_US

HP ProLiant DL360 G6 Server Maintenance and Service Guide ( follow the page no 74-75)

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1013299190.pdf

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MD4
Visitor

Ok, so i checked the said things again.

I tried starting the server with 2 CPUs installed and 1x4GB RDIM DR for each CPU. Still doesnt start. The Server doesnt show anything on the front LED indicator exept Power Supply error, but thats because i have just one plugged in at the moment.

The server also doesnt show any errors on the screen, the screen doesnt even get any output.

The only thing that the server does is spin the fans, they get faster and faster and faster, then they slow down, then they get faster again. Thats the only thing the server does. Nothing blinks or indicates any error.

Do i need to enable Advanced ECC anywhere? I havent found anything. Also, if i am right, i need to install my RAM A-I in the slots. Dont know if i am right though.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

As I suggested in my last post, you have to follow the memory papulation guide.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you have a proper case be logged with HPE, and share the appropriate logs for further analysis.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ColinMA_42
Occasional Advisor

I too am having this issue.  I've tested all 6 of my CPU's and all the memory I'm using works fine, if only using a single processor.  Same X5675 CPU's...

Even if I fill all the banks with identical 2Gb sticks (all tested), it just ramps the fans up and down, never reaches POST...

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

MD4
Visitor

Hi, yes, for me the solution was to switch the processor to an X5670… it says in the documentation that the X5675 is supported, but using the x5670 it works just fine… that was my solution.