1753774 Members
6922 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: [DL 360 Gen8] ILO 4 small issue

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Disregard - HPE released the 1.50 version today (part of ServicePack 2016-10).

NK

kieran_obrien
Occasional Advisor

I've just imported two c7000 blade enclosures into Oneview 3.00.05 and get this error on two blades. Interestingly, it's blade 8 in both enclosures.

I've followed the advisory and updated iLO4 firmware from 2.10 to 2.50 and flashed the NAND using HPQLOCFG

I still get the POST error 8192 and am unable to manage the blades with Oneview. Is my only option to have HP replace the system boards??

I notice that the alert in the self-test results now says "Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 Embedded media manager failed media attach" whereas previously it referenced revision 2.09.00

Cheers!

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I followed steps 1 and 2 in the advisory and still get the error.  In the advisory, it says I should see this in the iLO event log:

Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: One or more storage devices have been formatted

But I dont see that...however in the hpqcfg.log file that gets created by the iLO utility, it does show this entry:

Forcing a format of the partition after the iLO reset

Could someone explain to me what the NAND device is?  Do all iLOs have this, or is is a speical add-on that you install on the server?  Is it possible my iLO does not have a NAND device in it?

Thanks,

NK

NK

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@NJK-Work wrote:

Could someone explain to me what the NAND device is? 

iLO flash memory

Do all iLOs have this, or is is a speical add-on that you install on the server? 

All iLO's that have Intelligent Provisioning have NAND

Is it possible my iLO does not have a NAND device in it?

Yes, what server are you working with

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I have several HPE ProLiant Gen8p servers that have this iLO error.

Thanks

NK

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

My list of servers with this problem is growing, and I have no known solution.  The documented solution from HPE does not work (formatting NAND device).  Does anyone know of any other things to try?  Unfortunately this is not just a cosmetic "ignorable error message" problem as the iLO hangs and we get session time outs for those iLOs affected by this.

Thanks

NK

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

"does not work"
is not very specific.
after the format command the ILO reboots and should do the format, but sometimes it needs a power cycle - pull the plug.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I was able to locate an offline test server with a bad iLO on it that I could mess with and was able to fix the problem using PowerShell:

$ServerILO = "ILOADDRESS"
$Cred = Get-Credential

$XML = @"
<RIBCL VERSION="2.0">
<LOGIN PASSWORD="notused" USER_LOGIN="notused">
<RIB_INFO MODE="write">
<FORCE_FORMAT VALUE="all"/>
</RIB_INFO>
</LOGIN>
</RIBCL>
"@

Invoke-HPiLORIBCLCommand –Server $ServerILO -Credential $Cred -DisableCertificateAuthentication –RIBCLCommand $XML

I am going to try this again on the original production iLO that failed when I used the HPONCFG utility and see if it now works using the PowerShell version of it.

NK

nimbus
Occasional Advisor

I've got the same issue with a DL380p Gen 8 and a BL660 Gen 8. The RIBCL script executes without issue and reports in the local log the following: "Forcing a format of the partition after the iLO reset.". However, nothing is written into the iLO event log of either server itself to report anything to do with the media being erased/formatted as indicated in the HPE service advisory. 

Since upgrading iLO to 2.50, the error in the iLO Diagnostics now reads as below:

Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 Embedded media manager failed media attach 

So for me, it'll be a call to HPE support.

But certainly appreciate finding this forum post as the help with the remote command line execution was useful to me.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you try to remove power from the server after format?

If you are remote, run a "server reset <bay>" at the OA for the blade.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!