cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL 380 G2 LTO2 tape drive issue

Anne Wirth
Occasional Visitor

DL 380 G2 LTO2 tape drive issue

I have a DL 380 G2 W2K3 SP1 server that has a 20/40GB internal SCSI DAT drive and using BackupExec 9.0. I installed an Adaptec 39160 SCSI card and a rack mount Dell PowerVault 114T with a Certance LTO2 tape drive in it to replace the DAT drive. I used the drivers from Dell. Device manager and BE saw the drive with no problem. Any time you try to inventory, erase and label a tape I would get Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument. I tried NTbackup and got a generic hardware error check media / drive. Tried multiple tapes, tried the external connector on the array card. I put the card, cable and drive in another server (clone W2K3) and it worked just fine with Dell and Veritas drivers with BE and NTbackup. This server is in our data center so I will have to schedule another outage to try to get it working again but any suggestions up front for what I can try will be appreciated and / or does any one have this configuration and it's working. I am going to try to use the Veritas driver and/or upgrade BE to 9.1 and / or uninstall and reinstall it. If possible I might try the current controller / cable the DAT drive is using. Thanks in advance.