1753479 Members
5467 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL 380 G3: No keyboard input after reboot

K.R. Fulton
Occasional Contributor

DL 380 G3: No keyboard input after reboot

I have a Proliant DL 380 running NT server 4.0, the machine was rebooted. There were no software changes to the OS or applications before the reboot.

Now we cannot get into the machine because there is no keyboard input. The mouse still works normally. The keyboard won't respond to caps lock, num lock, ctl-alt-delete, etc.

What do I need to do to regain control of this server? help!
you were born to suffer, so suffer and endure!
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: DL 380 G3: No keyboard input after reboot

Hi,

Certain third-party KVM's might cause this situation if the ILO firmware on your DL380 G3 is version 1.40.

To fix it, connect a keyboard and mouse directly and update the ILO firmware to version 1.51 from the following link.
The procedure to update using the ILO is included at the bottom of this link.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20469.html

If it doesn't work with a normal keyboard attached you probably need a new system board so call HP.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Make sure its HP/Compaq keyboard that you are using. I have seen instances where this particular doesn├в t like some 3rd party keyboa
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Nick Walton
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Can you make a remote connection into the machine using the administrative Terminal Services feature (assuming that this is available in NT4 and that you might have it enabled)? That would at least allow you to continue to manage the machine, make a backup in preparation for hardware repair, etc.

If you can make the remote connection across the network then, if you reboot, do you see the keyboard lights come on briefly during POST as a diagnostic?
It's got two chances - it will either work or it won't!
K.R. Fulton
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the responses and the information. The trick was to remove the machine from the KVM switch and reboot. All worked normally after that.
The part I was most worried about during the process was the reboot. No remote access being possible, I only knew to hit the on/off switch.
Is thetre another way to reboot with out this type of "quick and dirty" shutdown?
you were born to suffer, so suffer and endure!